PLLXO help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK. I'm ready to embark on a PLLXO. I ran some numbers through the spreadsheet and notice that the cap values are several orders of magnitude smaller than speaker level XO's. Questions:

1. In my ignorance, it appears that the low valued caps will have to be ceramics or styrene type bypass caps. True?

2. I have no idea what the amp Z is. I suppose that I can simply assume 100kΩ, see what happens and adjust values acordingly?

3. I intend to use a plate amp to cross the sub. I'll start with 300Hz 1st ordrfor the high-pass.

4. Using a pot for the XO resistor, what kind of frequency range can I expect for a given cap?

Thanks,
Bob

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Bob, is this for the Topping?

The amp Z is essentially the R to ground at the input...

For hipass, i have been using this R as the shunt element of the RC filter and just using a cap in front for 1st order... adding an additional shunt R in front decreases the net input R and degrades potential performance if you want to reach for 2nd order and also requires a larger cap.

One of the advantages of PLLXO is that it uses much smaller caps then a passive XO, allowing you to get a much better cap for your budget -- no point in using anything but good poly caps in these.

dave

Bob, is this for the Topping?

Yes

The amp Z is essentially the R to ground at the input...

OK. I can do that. The Topping reads 49kΩ, and old Yami 100kΩ and my p-p tubes 87kΩ

For hipass, i have been using this R as the shunt element of the RC filter and just using a cap in front for 1st order... adding an additional shunt R in front decreases the net input R and degrades potential performance if you want to reach for 2nd order and also requires a larger cap.

Putting 49kΩ into the spreadsheet gives 10.8nF. Unless I don't understand the units, which of course is possible, the smallest foil and film cap is 0.01μF, or 10pF and 10^3 too big. Where would you suggest that I sourse the proper caps?

Bob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.