BK12 versus FH3 for FE126En without a corner... - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th March 2012, 03:23 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

>>> I always assumed (which I shouldn't do) that the stepped angles in so many of these DIY horns were a compromise for manufacturing ease.

They are AND they sound better. Diminishing the mids once you have your horns built is part of the fine tuning.

I like corners

If you don't have corners than i would consider a design that could sit closer to the wall. For example,

http://audiowood.com/gallery/images/JordanSpeakers3.jpg
Old 5th March 2012, 03:23 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamstrain View Post
vent = mouth

Interesting, I would never have guessed that a smoother horn path would decrease performance... I always assumed (which I shouldn't do) that the stepped angles in so many of these DIY horns were a compromise for manufacturing ease.
It might be in some cases, it's a functional part of the design / low pass filter in most of my designs.

Quote:
But maybe you are right about the 126 being too limited a driver. I'll have to ponder. Do you have any recommendations in the same general price range as the 126? (so probably no Alpair or Sigmas).
Fostex FF125wk, CSS EL70, MA CHR70 all come to mind. There are various Tang Band units too; a few are almost always on some kind of offer, so whatever looks reasonable in your price bracket.
Old 5th March 2012, 03:51 PM   #13
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

It sounds like you're constrained from using corners in which the FH3/FE126E will do it's best, or any rear mouthed BLH. I'll venture to answer the initial question - I've heard both the BK12 and the FH3 with this driver, and AFAIC the latter enclosure is a better performer.

period

But back to your situation - is height an issue? If not, you might want to consider Pensil family ( versions for CHP/CHR70 and Alpair 7.3) , or if you're inclined towards a Fostex, a simple MLTL with FF125WK shouldn't be too much different than that in overall form factor.
Old 5th March 2012, 04:05 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

You mean like this Chris?

Box for FF125wk. Internal HxWxD = 35.5in x 5.5in x 9in. Zd. = 7.125in. Vent 5.5in wide x 1.875in tall. Stuff cabinet 0.65lbs ft^3 dacron or similar & adjust to preference from there. A removable back will make that easier.
Attached Images
File Type: png Plots.png (67.3 KB, 224 views)
Old 5th March 2012, 04:08 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Thanks everyone, this is interesting...

Is the FF126En not suited to such an enclosure? (Too low a qts?)
Old 5th March 2012, 04:17 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Correct, mass corner is too high without some help from the amplifier or Eq if you want to tune low. Linear travel is also rather less, so it tends to need more help from the box.
Old 5th March 2012, 04:24 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

>>> Box for FF125wk. Internal HxWxD = 35.5in x 5.5in x 9in. Zd. = 7.125in. Vent 5.5in wide x 1.875in tall.

Scott, your sim looks like it would provide some weight to the sound... Nice! I also notice you tune many of your cabinets to around 70Hz for Fostex drivers this size regardless of the physical size of the cabinet. Would you recommend a sub for these rather than stretching their bass response (and potentially spoiling their overall performance)... or do you prefer them 'as is' accepting them for what they are?
Old 5th March 2012, 04:33 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
>>> Box for FF125wk. Internal HxWxD = 35.5in x 5.5in x 9in. Zd. = 7.125in. Vent 5.5in wide x 1.875in tall.

Scott, your sim looks like it would provide some weight to the sound... Nice! I also notice you tune many of your cabinets to around 70Hz for Fostex drivers this size regardless of the physical size of the cabinet. Would you recommend a sub for these rather than stretching their bass response (and potentially spoiling their overall performance)... or do you prefer them 'as is' accepting them for what they are?

actually, a bit of both I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
You mean like this Chris?

Box for FF125wk. Internal HxWxD = 35.5in x 5.5in x 9in. Zd. = 7.125in. Vent 5.5in wide x 1.875in tall. Stuff cabinet 0.65lbs ft^3 dacron or similar & adjust to preference from there. A removable back will make that easier.

gee - looks almost too simple, a guy could bash a pair of those out in a couple of hours
Old 5th March 2012, 04:33 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
well, yah, what took you so long
I know, I'm slowing up. Will try to do better in future.
Old 5th March 2012, 04:34 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
I know, I'm slowing up. Will try to do better in future.

this post already orphaned by my edit of previous post

doesn't that just pi$$ you off

Hide this!Advertise here!