BK12 versus FH3 for FE126En without a corner...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That's happened to me too... ;)

Scott, your sim looks like it would provide some weight to the sound... Nice! I also notice you tune many of your cabinets to around 70Hz for Fostex drivers this size regardless of the physical size of the cabinet. Would you recommend a sub for these rather than stretching their bass response (and potentially spoiling their overall performance)... or do you prefer them 'as is' accepting them for what they are?

Cheers Jeff. Right, this is one of my favourite alignments for a vented box / MLTL with wideband units. Pretty much as Chris said. A sub or subs would be prefered for the LF, although I suspect a lot of small single-driver fans would be happy enough as-is, so long as their expectations are realistic.

gee - looks almost too simple, a guy could bash a pair of those out in a couple of hours

You volunteering Chris? :p Incidentally, OT did you get chance to try that 88 based box that shall not be named here?

Last edited:
That's happened to me too... ;)

Cheers Jeff. Right, this is one of my favourite alignments for a vented box / MLTL with wideband units. Pretty much as Chris said. A sub or subs would be prefered for the LF, although I suspect a lot of small single-driver fans would be happy enough as-is, so long as their expectations are realistic.

You volunteering Chris? :p Incidentally, OT did you get chance to try that 88 based box that shall not be named here?

how could I say no? :p

see your e-mail

realistic expectations - oxymoron, innit?

Nominally 3/4in, but ~1/4in either way won't affect it's behaviour significantly enough to bother about.

I gotta hang out in the shop tonight to spray some lacquer, so while I wait for that to dry, I'll give these a shot

No worries at this end, just didn't want to jump the gun before I got word on the last box.

OK then, the little folded VP is actually quite surprising good- not a desk topper like the Fountkenette though, and certainly not competition for the FH3/FE126

These little drivers are nicely enough made, but the design creates some downsides to actually installing them in a box

1) very small margin on cast mounting flange,
2) came with no gasket / screws
3) holes will only accept #4 or smaller screws, and they're not fully countersunk for that size
4) terminals get in the way
5) even if rebated for flush fit, any wide-band driver this size definitely needs the through hole to be chamfered

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
...but the design creates some downsides...

Let me add... the awkward weight distribution had me dropping them a couple times. The protruding surround means they can't be set face down. Packaging is clunky. They do produce good bass for their size, but midrange is coloured, and top is not that extended (probably a good thing given the amps these will most often be used with)

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.