Stone Speaker Cases

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I know nothing about audio, speakers etc.

I can obtain unique stone for speakers to be mounted in. I have panels of stone that could be put together to make stone speaker boxes of what ever size. Is this something that would work?

What considerations would need to be taken into account. I wish I could show photos here, but seem not to be able to?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Stone

Thanks for your response.

Here are some of the stones that I have.

So if I were to make speaker cabinets, what should considerations should there be?

Anything else?????

:)

Thanks

Attachments

• GUATMASTER.jpg
    GUATMASTER.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 348
  • RainbowSandsNew.jpg
    RainbowSandsNew.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 312
  • TeakSandstoneMas.jpg
    TeakSandstoneMas.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 307
I hate to say it, but you can't assume that anyone contemplating buying speaker enclosures from real or composite "stone" has fully considered the ramifications of the weight issue (particularly the very real hazard posed with a stand mounted box ), so you might want to consult lawyers regarding drafting of liability disclaimer. I mean, when a fast food restaurant can be sued for the hotness of their coffee....even if you win, you lose - at least time and expense defending frivolous claims.

Also don't forget to radius all edges and corners - a simple breaking of arris might not be sufficient.

gorgeous stone

Stone turntables...and speakers

as Cal says "Yowza!"

Of course there are always detractors of stone used for almost anything. I can only suggest that with a "batural" shaped stone as in the turntable, there is an opportunity to create stress risers, although they most certainly would not create fissures. The standing waves that could be created can have the effect of "smear" over some unknown frequency range.Granite can be notorious for this. Certainly the 100 lb. mass would minimize it.

Regarding stone loudspeaker enclosures, one ought to proceed slowly and very carefully. I would suggest as a minimum that prototypes be made with painted (both sides) MDF. Get the speaker project "right", then proceed with stone enclosures. I'd also suggest Dynamat or similar on all interior faces to reduce internal reflections. And if the enclosures are not to big or the dimensions could be altered, try for a floorstander (even a somewhat short one), so that having appropriate stands would not be required). You can always fill any cavities with dry sterilized sand, glass shot or lead shot. And make sure the base plate is robust enough to support the weight. Just some thoughts.

This is not that unusual, as the concrete horn loudspeaker thread demonstrates.

That is exactly what I ran into when I built the TT. All the cutting and grinding loosened one of the seems and it just let loose. I epoxied it back together then epoxied a 1/4 plate of aluminum on the underside so it would not happen again. The result was a very dead piece as the three different layers of material dampened each other out.

517645371_1825067387_496006720_1271460145163.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.