Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th February 2012, 11:13 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default What do you think? Tang Band W4-1879 4" Full Range Driver

Hey guys, I was browsing trough the parts express website while I fell upon this!

Tang Band W4-1879 4" Full Range Driver

it's msrp was $199.... PE was selling it at regular price of $150..... and now it is on special sale for $60!!!!!

I mean a $200 driver for $60.... no brainer?

Underhung voice coil
Neodymium magnet structure
Extremely low harmonic distortion
Bamboo fiber paper cone
Durable foam rubber surround
Unique aluminum phase plug

Frequency response graph looks good! 87 db, 55Hz-20kHz....

I am thinking of a full range desktop speakers for my PC?

I know there is another thread here about this driver but not much info on it.

Has anyone used this driver? Do I need to make it a floor stander to get good sound out of it?

Thanks guys,
I
Old 1st March 2012, 01:47 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Not many have used it... i'll let you knowwhat i think when my pr arrives. Price alone is not a reliable indicator. I;ve had some pretty expensive drivers thru here, One in particular was smoked by a much much less expensive driver. I do have high hopes for this one... my biggest objection is the ugly phase plug.

dave
Old 1st March 2012, 02:18 AM   #3
boris81 is offline boris81  United States
diyAudio Member

TB 3″ copper final build | Audioheuristics
MarkK did a build write-up of the 3" version in his blog.
Old 1st March 2012, 07:49 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I'm still running my pair in. Out of the box I was a bit dissapointed. They have very clear bass and very good vocal reproduction but treble was greatly lacking. I was comparing them in FH3s side by side with Alpair 7s, the A7s have more bass and deeper but not as clear the TBs, A7s highs left the TB for dead.
The TB would work well with a tweeter.
Keep in mind that's with 0 hours on the TBs, I'll have another listen when they have run in a bit.
Old 1st March 2012, 02:25 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Not many have used it... i'll let you knowwhat i think when my pr arrives. Price alone is not a reliable indicator. I;ve had some pretty expensive drivers thru here, One in particular was smoked by a much much less expensive driver. I do have high hopes for this one... my biggest objection is the ugly phase plug.

dave
Nice! keep us updated, we would like to hear in case anyone else is interested.

Yeah I know sometimes the price doesnt reflect the quality :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by boris81 View Post
TB 3″ copper final build | Audioheuristics
MarkK did a build write-up of the 3" version in his blog.
I went trough it, the graphs look good, sensitivity is a bit lower I guess but he didnt get into detail of how they actually sounded... maybe a bit... bland/average

Quote:
Originally Posted by THORNSPAWN View Post
I'm still running my pair in. Out of the box I was a bit dissapointed. They have very clear bass and very good vocal reproduction but treble was greatly lacking. I was comparing them in FH3s side by side with Alpair 7s, the A7s have more bass and deeper but not as clear the TBs, A7s highs left the TB for dead.
The TB would work well with a tweeter.
Keep in mind that's with 0 hours on the TBs, I'll have another listen when they have run in a bit.
Nice! thanks for giving that update! I would definately let them burn in a bit more, hope the highs imrove. Good to hear tho, "dissapointed" is not something you want to hear for a driver that was being sold for $150... even at $60 that might not make them such a good deal even tho the construction and frequency graph looks good :/

Let us know when you had some more time with them.... there are plenty of other full range drivers at lower price point or around that range.

I guess I am expecting a "WOW unbelievable value, sound amazing and at $60 it is a steal!"..... so far nothing like that... good thing I asked here first hehe
Old 1st March 2012, 03:55 PM   #6
sayrum is offline sayrum  Germany
diyAudio Member

from what i heard from knowledgeable speaker developers here in gemany the w8-1772 (with two notch(?) filters) in an tqwt beats many multi-way systems. even for more complex music like classical orchestras.
the smaller ones, like the w3 + w4 etc with the "interesting" phase plugs don't really cut it...

still, the 60$ for a w4-1879 are tempting.
Old 1st March 2012, 05:28 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

People don't be ridiculous, for 60$ you can't buy anything better, altough I haven't listened to them, but I know what's TB all about, have many drivers If you are in tweeter, mid and bass reviews, than you miss the music & magic

Last edited by DYNABLASTERTUNERS; 1st March 2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old 18th October 2013, 09:44 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

@$60.00 is an absolute steal! This is one of the best 3" drivers out there. This driver needs the best amp and a source you can throw at - el cheapo amps and source do not need to apply here as you will be sorely disappointed. It plays violins like no other 3" full range driver - it has the proper weight and tone without the shout and screeching. The upper frequencies are bit lacking but with very good DAC and amp it is marvelous. Highly Recommended!!!
Old 18th October 2013, 09:49 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

yes 4" sorry...
Old 18th October 2013, 10:01 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Today's prices = $129.98 apiece.

Hide this!Advertise here!