What do you think? Tang Band W4-1879 4" Full Range Driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys, I was browsing trough the parts express website while I fell upon this!

Tang Band W4-1879 4" Full Range Driver

it's msrp was $199.... PE was selling it at regular price of $150..... and now it is on special sale for $60!!!!!

I mean a $200 driver for $60.... no brainer?

Underhung voice coil
Neodymium magnet structure
Extremely low harmonic distortion
Bamboo fiber paper cone
Durable foam rubber surround
Unique aluminum phase plug

Frequency response graph looks good! 87 db, 55Hz-20kHz....

I am thinking of a full range desktop speakers for my PC?

I know there is another thread here about this driver but not much info on it.

Has anyone used this driver? Do I need to make it a floor stander to get good sound out of it?

Thanks guys,
I

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Not many have used it... i'll let you knowwhat i think when my pr arrives. Price alone is not a reliable indicator. I;ve had some pretty expensive drivers thru here, One in particular was smoked by a much much less expensive driver. I do have high hopes for this one... my biggest objection is the ugly phase plug.

dave

I'm still running my pair in. Out of the box I was a bit dissapointed. They have very clear bass and very good vocal reproduction but treble was greatly lacking. I was comparing them in FH3s side by side with Alpair 7s, the A7s have more bass and deeper but not as clear the TBs, A7s highs left the TB for dead.
The TB would work well with a tweeter.
Keep in mind that's with 0 hours on the TBs, I'll have another listen when they have run in a bit.

Not many have used it... i'll let you knowwhat i think when my pr arrives. Price alone is not a reliable indicator. I;ve had some pretty expensive drivers thru here, One in particular was smoked by a much much less expensive driver. I do have high hopes for this one... my biggest objection is the ugly phase plug.

dave

Nice! keep us updated, we would like to hear in case anyone else is interested.

Yeah I know sometimes the price doesnt reflect the quality :/

TB 3″ copper final build | Audioheuristics
MarkK did a build write-up of the 3" version in his blog.

I went trough it, the graphs look good, sensitivity is a bit lower I guess but he didnt get into detail of how they actually sounded... maybe a bit... bland/average

I'm still running my pair in. Out of the box I was a bit dissapointed. They have very clear bass and very good vocal reproduction but treble was greatly lacking. I was comparing them in FH3s side by side with Alpair 7s, the A7s have more bass and deeper but not as clear the TBs, A7s highs left the TB for dead.
The TB would work well with a tweeter.
Keep in mind that's with 0 hours on the TBs, I'll have another listen when they have run in a bit.

Nice! thanks for giving that update! I would definately let them burn in a bit more, hope the highs imrove. Good to hear tho, "dissapointed" is not something you want to hear for a driver that was being sold for $150... even at $60 that might not make them such a good deal even tho the construction and frequency graph looks good :/

Let us know when you had some more time with them.... there are plenty of other full range drivers at lower price point or around that range.

I guess I am expecting a "WOW unbelievable value, sound amazing and at $60 it is a steal!"..... so far nothing like that... good thing I asked here first hehe

@$60.00 is an absolute steal! This is one of the best 3" drivers out there. This driver needs the best amp and a source you can throw at - el cheapo amps and source do not need to apply here as you will be sorely disappointed. It plays violins like no other 3" full range driver - it has the proper weight and tone without the shout and screeching. The upper frequencies are bit lacking but with very good DAC and amp it is marvelous. Highly Recommended!!!

just finished a pair of bass reflex speaker with these drivers (very small). I wanted to have something which sounds well at my desk also at low volume. So far I am very pleased :) What I especially like is the clear bass at low volume. I use a TA2020 based Amplifier with a (very old) TDA1543 DAC.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.