TQWT for veravox 7x

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
g,day all
i have started this thread as i have decided to try a tqwt enclosure for the veravox 7x

please ignore my other thread as i will be making the cabs i already have into subs

concernes i have regarding the veravox is there limited xmax ,1mm it seems no matter how i model it in a sealed enclosure it reaches xmax way to early (200hz with only 10 w) and i am hoping a tqwt enclosure will help that

i already have a visaton tl 16 to help the top end so these need to operate from 80hz to 10,000 hz

i have attached some plans that i am hoping someone could help adapt to my drivers

from what i understand i should be aiming for around 56 to 60 hz tuning as my drivers fs is 56hz

i would also like to thank the guys that have already given me advise on the last thread

Attachments

• tqwt.gif
    tqwt.gif
    7.3 KB · Views: 226
Wouldn't a driver with such low xmax be better suited for a horn (or a TQWT with better compression/resistance)?

I'd think that with a QTS of .5, it would be a little much for a horn. While not a lot of cone movement, I really enjoyed these OB, sounded very balanced with a sub to support.

I'm sure they will sound a little 'fuller' in a TQWT, but I do wonder if you need to enhance the low-end that much. A simpler box may be plenty.

Will keep an eye on this, curious to see where it goes.

g,day

from what i have read the slight horn loading from a tqwt will help out with the limited xmax and seems workable for this driver and i love the simple style of the cabs

can anyone reccomend a tuning or help modify the one i have above to get around 56hz ? is it just a matter of making the depth of the slot at the bottom deeper

forgive me if some of my questions are noob like as i,m new to this fullranger thing and although i have built a few different speakers now they have all been active or a design from troels so i,m lacking in the theory department:confused:

cheers

hi all
i just got a package in the mail 2x veravox 7x

first impressions are nice motor looks similar to my ss revelators
cone seems to be very light material, phase plug appears to be alloy and the surround is acordian style and very stiff

hopefully the visaton supertweeters will arrive soon

some questions

1,tqwt or ml tqwt

2, tuning frequency remembering this will be used with a sub so it is more midrange purity i,m after than bass i have read around driver fs is best so 56 hz i guess

3, where to crossover to visaton tl16 and can i just use a small cap for say 10,000 khz

4, is the mh audio tqwt calculator ok

cheers sheafer

Attachments

• veravox 001.jpg
    veravox 001.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 170
  • veravox 002.jpg
    veravox 002.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 163

GM

Joined 2003
hi gm

the crossover to sub will be active with my mini dsp and 2x btl icepower 125ax2 so i can implement basicly any slope up to 48db ,parrametric eq linkwitz transform circuit and so on

the veravox will be crossed passively to the tweeter and run via my diy aleph 2 monoblocks

performance goal is midrange purity,high sensitivity to match the tweeters (100db) and to keep the driver away from xmax whilst providing a nice simple crossover to the super tweeter

i am leaning toward tqwt for the slight horn loading it provides as i figure this will help with the limited xmax (not sure if i am right here)

cheers

How loud do you actually play? And have you heard any distortion through them ?
I ask as I used my Veravox 5S in Open Baffle for a while, and found they had enough output running without crossover in my room. They also did just fine in BiB's that I took to a hifi show.

Those 7X's certainly look good!

Hmm, calculated mid band efficiency is ~91.85 dB/m, so the tweeter will need shelving and the posted specs lists only a ~1 mm linear excursion.

Preserving mid band 'purity' means OB to me with no audible amplitude modulation distortion [AMD], i.e. theoretically limited to a fraction of its usable power handling [current, excursion].

The driver has a rising rate suspension to protect it and IME the vast majority of folks in the so called civilized world don't hear as well as they think they do when it comes to AMD, so short of doing at least some 'by ear' testing to find the power BW limit before the XO roll off, Fs/Qts will probably suffice.

GM

g,day
just got home to another package so i,m ready to go i just need the cabs now

i must say they are much bigger and heavy'er than i thought

thanks GM ,so are you suggesting ob?

i,m pretty keen on a tqwt if its workable ,the cabs seem easy to build and i have just enough marine ply left to do the job

i would like to cut the subs in around 100hz ,will this work with a tqwt tuned to my driver fs 56hz or should i tune lower ?

also will the cab i posted on page one work for me ,if not how can i change the tuning from 45 to 50 to 60 hz

cheers

Attachments

• visaton 001.jpg
    visaton 001.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 80
  • visaton 002.jpg
    visaton 002.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 88
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.