Infinity Kappa 8 modification

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks. I just purchased a new Emotiva XPA-2 amp to drive my excellent Kappa 8 speakers. Anyone who knows these kappa's knows they are notoriously hard to drive. So enter my new Emotiva amp. Its rated at 500w into 4 ohms. Thats the whole reason I bought it. I was getting weary of driving my old carver m1.0t OR my adcom gfa-555 into clipping on certain bass heavy tracks (i.e several songs on Jesse Cooks "Freefall" album (especially track 4... as well as 6 and 8)). So I warm up the Emotiva and wham it shuts down into overload protection status.... Albeit at pretty high volume but I was very disappointed to say the least.

I have heard there are some Kappa 8 mods out there that will help them drive easier. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Kappa 8 mod

Don't remember exactly but there is a part in the bass section of the crossover that acts to store energy them activate when needed, unfortunately is can also kill amps due to impedance drop to 2 ohms or so. Just keep looking and Google crossover mods for kappa 8. The 9"s drop to less than 1 ohm in the base.

The 8's are bi-ampable so that is also a way to go. My self I use a pair of old Hafler xl-280's which are stable to less than 2 ohms. into 4 ohms they put out 200 a side and drive my Kappa's Louder than is safe for my hearing. They are seen on e-bay for $175 to $ 250

Oh here is the mod I was talking about http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/207548-infinity-kappa-8-modification.html

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.