My first BiPoles: TB W3-879S TABAQs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently picked up 3 pairs of Tang Band W3-879S's. I already had a pair in a vented box on my desk at work, so I knew I liked the 879's. I was looking for something other than a typical box for my new pairs. I came across info about Cyburg's Needles. They looked pretty interesting, so I figured I'd build a pair. As I read further, the TABAQs were discussed. For some unknown-to-me-reason, I liked the TABAQs better, so I decided to go with them. I kept reading about them, and someone on one of the forums mentioned a bipole TABAQ. Well, I had enough drivers to build bipoles, so that's what I did.
I finished them today and have been listening to them for about three hours tonight. I've gone through some Steely Dan, Dire Straits, Mark Knoplfer (solo project), and now I'm listening to Eva Cassidy. So far I have not been disappointed. I am augmenting the bass with a small sub due to my room size, but these little TABAQs are amazing. They sound clear, crisp, and easy to listen to. No fatigue thus far.They just kind of disappear. I have yet to figure out how close/far they should be from the wall behind them, but they sound good where I have them; one close to the wall and one not so close.
Yep, I'm very happy with them. I'd like to put a small sub on a "lower unit" on each one. That would provide some low end support and it would bring the small driver closer to ear level.
In the pics, the black baffle is the rear baffle. I built these so the rear is removable so I could try different amounts of fill and experiment otherwise with them.
These were a fun and simple build. If you're looking for a single driver, inexpensive build, I'd suggest looking at a pair of TABAQs, especially bipoles. :D
Mike

Attachments

• a-tabaq 2.JPG
    a-tabaq 2.JPG
    745 KB · Views: 169
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 151
  • photo c2.JPG
    photo c2.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 150
  • photo c3.JPG
    photo c3.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 145
  • photo e1.JPG
    photo e1.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 151
  • photo e2.JPG
    photo e2.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 86
  • photo e3.JPG
    photo e3.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 67
  • photo e4.JPG
    photo e4.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 49
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.