24" OB - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd February 2012, 08:44 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 24" OB

I have many drivers in storage that i'd like to revisit eventually. Since serving divorce papers I moved my main system to my parents house. Everything's been setup in a messy room i'd like to organize. It looks like, with a bit of effort, i will be able to setup the H-frames in a room. I will be trying different drivers on OB sitting on top of the H-frames. Having simmed several drivers it looks like just about everything from 4" to 8" will reach 200Hz on a 24" x 24" baffle approx. 30" from the floor and 10" from the rear and side walls. I can play with room placement bringing the speakers farther or closer to the walls but wanted a baseline to sim with. Besides using H-frames it appears (from the sims) that a more typical powered sub may work with this setup as well... but that that remains to be heard.

Anyone have similar experiences, both pro and con, with 24" x 24" open baffles?

Zilla
Old 24th February 2012, 10:16 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I've been running open baffles with a sub for about a year or two. My baffles are smaller, but I started with them about 24x24, and sitting on the floor. I definitely got better bass response with this arrangement, but felt they needed to be elevated to image properly, so I cut the baffles down to something like 12w x 18h, and raised them up on legs (the speakers look like normal BR floor standers, but with the side and back panels missing. I figured the baffle size and position no longer mattered, since the sub would pick up the slack. However, my sub crosses over at 100hz (can't go higher without running it fullrange, which doesn't sound as good). I can definitely feel a little suckout in that 100-250hz range.

Your placement being on top of H-frames and close to the side and back walls, though, may help too with getting down to 200hz. Mine are pretty far from sides and back, mainly due to room obstructions and windows. I'm guessing you'll have pretty good luck with your baffle setup.

By the way, I'm in Brooklyn, if you're ever in the mood to hear my setup. I'd be grateful for the ears of your vast speaker experience, and you'd have the run of the record collection...

Cheers,
Sean

Hide this!Advertise here!