Tang Band W8-1808 BVR or BLH options? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd February 2012, 09:39 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Arghhh! The dread 'scaling' word (for 'scale' read 'redesign for different unit').

I'm at work now, but I'll look into it when I have time later.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 22nd February 2012 at 09:43 AM.
Old 22nd February 2012, 09:48 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Exactly, I stand corrected. Without euphemisms, then, I'd be grateful for your assistance to design a proper cabinet for the aforementioned driver, at your convenience, of course.

Many thanks,
Sean
Old 22nd February 2012, 01:27 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default Everyone is right, but i was wrong...but still like the driver just wish less money

Everyone's statement here is correct. The cabinet if used with the correct driver, which is not what i did the first time, is great. I really like the TB drivers even though they have the rise in the top end, that is easily fixed. The Chang cabinet is great and the build on it is masterful. There was not enough bass on the low end, yes you need a larger air space and yes that means "alterations" modifications, new design. I would love it if someone would spend some time with those and design some other cabinets. My failure was fine, I popped out the TB and put in a 225 fostex which even though it runs off at the top end, sound a ton better at the low end. The bass was back and very smooth. If you have seen the pictures, these were for my 11 year old, i really don't care if it rolls off a little at 17 or 18k, he doesn't know the difference and i have other pairs in my room so we are good. Now, if you like the cabinet design, try a fostex in it, either the chang or smaller with a 6inch or 8inch version. If you are gong to keep the TB, you will need to figure out the volume for the driver (i forget how many liters you needed) base it on the port calculation and try to "modify the volume of the chang to mimic what you would need for the TB and then calculate the port opening based on the opening at the bottom of the chang. THIS IS NOT PERFECT i know, but i may get you where you want to go.. I think you need to increase the chang internals by 30-40 liters....
Old 23rd February 2012, 09:28 PM   #14
jacozz is offline jacozz  Sweden
diyAudio Member

jonparkhurst

I'm using my Tangbands 1772 in open baffle supported by 15 inch drivers, active support with LP-filter.
It's easy to do, and you will get an idea what dipole can do.
If you have an digital EQ you don't need any more than a 50 cm x 90 cm baffle with two holes for the drivers.

Try it, you might like it, I do
Old 24th February 2012, 07:26 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I thought the 1772 was more box, and the 1808 more open baffle... ?? My TB's are gone and now replaced with Fostex 225. I like the driver, but the cost is an issue. maybe the w4 or w5 from PE on sale...
Old 24th February 2012, 09:41 PM   #16
hm is offline hm  Europe
diyAudio Member

Default midwifecrisis

Hello,

look my sat horns and the double horns,
a few are good driven by the 1880,
may be a translation of the measurements
and feedbacks would help,
please read "about what"
about what
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sathorn.jpg (102.6 KB, 255 views)
File Type: jpg rdhb200web.jpg (18.7 KB, 247 views)
Old 24th February 2012, 10:37 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Default Hörst,

Hello, I'm happy to hear from you, since I've been studying your double-horns very carefully, and thought too that these Tang Band drivers might work with it. My main concern was whether my other drivers, Fostex 207e, might work in combination with them for the back drivers. I might have to try it out and see what happens! I'm intrigued by the concept of the double horns having an "interlacing effect." I also like that it functions like a dipole, sending the sound back and up in addition to forward. I take it this might contribute to the open quality that I like about my open baffle arrangement.

There is one small issue, though, which is the weight of the speakers. My listening room is upstairs, and the only access is a small spiral staircase. Anything large and heavy can be a problem. But I'll figure this out. Thank you.
Old 25th February 2012, 01:02 AM   #18
hm is offline hm  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hello,
thanks,
the double horns are bipole constructions,
next month i made a new construction the TWOHORN,
two parts each double horn, useful for a small staircase.

A good invers back driver would be
the Monacor SPH-210 or similar.
Old 25th February 2012, 02:17 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

OK, now the TWOHORN is something else to look forward to! If you are ready to release the plans, I could make a test pair...

Many thanks, keep up the good work!
Old 25th February 2012, 06:40 PM   #20
jacozz is offline jacozz  Sweden
diyAudio Member

jonparkhurst
Every driver will work in Open Baffle.
But, not every driver will have enough bass extension. In fact no one does, at least no one that I'm aware of, maybe an 15 inch coaxial would be ok, but that would, either way need:
a very wide baffle or, some sort of EQ to compensate for the roll off.

An 8 inch driver will never be able to get you descent bass output.

So, it really doesn't matter whether you use the 1772 or the 1808. You still have to support the bass with at least one (pair) of dedicated bass drivers to get usable SPL.

The pros about the 1772 vs 1808, is that you get away with a smaller box with the 1772 to get the same bass extension if aiming for a BR, BVR, or BLH.

Hide this!Advertise here!