TQWT x Golden Rule for 8 inches Full Range - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2012, 05:41 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
FullRangeMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Brazil
Default TQWT x Golden Rule for 8 inches Full Range

Hello,
I wonder if on a TQWT for a 8 inches fullrange as the Supravox 215 or Visaton B200, the box wide and depth are critical??

As at this Supravox project the inside dimensions are smaller(W=25,6cm, H=102,5sm, D=36,5cm, Litrage=95,4Litres) than the Golden Ratio sizes:
http://www.supravox.fr/kits/tqwt215.pdf
According the Golden Rule the inside sizes would be> W=26 H=110cm D=42cm, Litrage=120 Litres;
This new, Golden rule bigger box may ruin the sound quality??
Thanks for any input.
__________________
>Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a cat or dog from the streets. On the streets pets live only two years average.
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 07:05 PM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
Scottmoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: UK
A couple of points straight off.

Firstly, nobody said golden rule dimensions have to be adhered to.

Next, what is relevant in a folded horn of this kind (TQWT in inaccurate modern parlance) is the length, driver tap location, expansion (viz. total volume), damping quantity & location, and if mass loaded, the dimensions & location of the duct. Since there is an internal line / expansion, golden rule HxWxD for a rectillinear cabinet is irrelevant. Note however that the more extreme the WxD ratio, the further you will depart from conical expansion into parabolic. The baffle dimensions & shape are relevant for baffle-step frequency & edge diffraction of course.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 21st February 2012 at 07:08 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 10:39 PM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
FullRangeMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Brazil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
A couple of points straight off.

Firstly, nobody said golden rule dimensions have to be adhered to.

Next, what is relevant in a folded horn of this kind (TQWT in inaccurate modern parlance) is the length, driver tap location, expansion (viz. total volume), damping quantity & location, and if mass loaded, the dimensions & location of the duct. Since there is an internal line / expansion, golden rule HxWxD for a rectillinear cabinet is irrelevant. Note however that the more extreme the WxD ratio, the further you will depart from conical expansion into parabolic. The baffle dimensions & shape are relevant for baffle-step frequency & edge diffraction of course.
Thanks for reply, I appreciated it.
One doubt remain, in terms of music/sound quality, what means a barabolic expansion??
Thanks
__________________
>Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a cat or dog from the streets. On the streets pets live only two years average.
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 10:47 PM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
Scottmoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: UK
You're welcome.

Parabolic doesn't mean anything in terms of music or sound quality since music is the recorded medium, and sound quality is a nebulous concept that varies depending on what it is you mean by it. A parabolic expansion provides the lowest efficiency of the various horn expansion profiles, a catenoid the highest, with the hyperbolic family (inc. exponential) falling in between depending on the T value. This is rather moot, since folded pipes of the type you link to are too small to get any significant horn loading within their useful BW in any case; the majority are just standing-wave generators with a taper that spreads the harmonics; whether that's a good or bad thing depends on the design in question & the desired objective.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 21st February 2012 at 10:51 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 11:30 PM   #5
diyAudio Member
 
FullRangeMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Brazil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
You're welcome.

Parabolic doesn't mean anything in terms of music or sound quality since music is the recorded medium, and sound quality is a nebulous concept that varies depending on what it is you mean by it. A parabolic expansion provides the lowest efficiency of the various horn expansion profiles, a catenoid the highest, with the hyperbolic family (inc. exponential) falling in between depending on the T value. This is rather moot, since folded pipes of the type you link to are too small to get any significant horn loading within their useful BW in any case; the majority are just standing-wave generators with a taper that spreads the harmonics; whether that's a good or bad thing depends on the design in question & the desired objective.
OK, Great explanation, Thanks. Iam a dumb about horns.
This Supravox project is too short to my taste, Do you would suggest a taller TQWT, around 130cm or 150cm tall??
Thanks
__________________
>Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a cat or dog from the streets. On the streets pets live only two years average.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2012, 05:22 AM   #6
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: victoria BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullRangeMan View Post
OK, Great explanation, Thanks. Iam a dumb about horns.

as are many, including come purveyors of commercial products

oops, did I say that out loud?
__________________
you don't really believe everything you think, do you?
community sites t-linespeakers.org, frugal-horn.com commercial site planet10-HiFi
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2012, 07:49 AM   #7
diyAudio Member
 
Scottmoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: UK
Ouch!
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2012, 07:58 AM   #8
diyAudio Member
 
Scottmoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullRangeMan View Post
OK, Great explanation, Thanks. Iam a dumb about horns.
This Supravox project is too short to my taste, Do you would suggest a taller TQWT, around 130cm or 150cm tall??
Thanks
Not a problem.

I'd suggest a better designed cabinet, period. Tuning frequency is a function of axial length & taper, and the amount of mass-loading (if any) applied to the horn / TQWT / call it what you will. Going by memory (it's a while since I looked at them) those Supravox boxes don't IMO have sufficient Vb for the intended drivers though, so I'd antipate poor gain on the bottom-end.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2012, 05:04 PM   #9
diyAudio Member
 
FullRangeMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Brazil
Thanks Boys, I appreciated your patience, thanks alot.

I suspect it will be a log reseach.
__________________
>Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a cat or dog from the streets. On the streets pets live only two years average.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2012, 12:10 AM   #10
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member
 
GM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Chamblee, Ga.
Hmm, all things considered, a BIB [or even an undersized one for floor loading] seems a better choice than the factory TQWT since a T/S max flat alignment is ~368 L/36 Hz Fb.

GM
__________________
Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Golden Rule? jered22 Full Range 22 12th June 2013 11:27 PM
full range + woofer OR full range + tweeter ? Bigun Full Range 35 20th March 2013 06:47 PM
Korean Sonodyne S-654 Full-Range/Wide-Range Drivers thetubeguy1954 Full Range 6 18th January 2011 10:42 PM
Golden Rule???? Higo Multi-Way 5 14th March 2002 12:57 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:50 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2