Bass Helper Recommendations for FF85WK? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th February 2012, 11:00 PM   #1
goody75 is offline goody75  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Bass Helper Recommendations for FF85WK?

Not sure if this should go in multi-way or fullrange but here we go...

I am planning my first speaker build and, at the moment, I'm leaning toward using one of the Fostex WK full rangers. I think I want to use the FF85WK (for better HF dispersion) and throw in a helper woofer for bass support. I would appreciate it if anyone can make a recommendation for the woofer. I am not wedded to a particular enclosure or woofer size but I am trying to keep the width of the enclosure within reason (< 2ft). I am also working on a limited budget and would like to keep the cost of the woofers to under $60 each.

Also can anyone make a comment about whether one of the aluminum cone Dayton's (DA175, 215 or 270) might fit with the FF85WK? My guess is that they are too different but I really like the prices on them at Parts-Express.

Thanks for your help.
Old 20th February 2012, 01:53 AM   #2
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

excellent choice for mid/tweeter

add the following woofers to your short list:
TB W6-1139

Madisound:
SilverFlute W17 RC38

no doubt there will be other suggestions

Peerless 830657
Old 20th February 2012, 02:44 AM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

This almost falls within your criteria: EL166 MTM ML-TL (woofers are $72/pr, no white ones left thou)

They should be even better with FF85wk vrs FF85k.

Click the image to open in full size.

We used SDX7 with FF85K in Tysen.

We are playing with a number of affordable Peerless.

dave
Old 20th February 2012, 05:59 AM   #4
_henry_ is offline _henry_  Australia
diyAudio Member

2 x exodus anarchy in 1cuft3 ported.

cheers
henry
Old 20th February 2012, 03:31 PM   #5
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
This almost falls within your criteria: EL166 MTM ML-TL (woofers are $72/pr, no white ones left thou)

dave

Of course, how could I have overlooked that one (other than that not available through PE or Madisound) - the above design definitely kicks
Old 20th February 2012, 08:41 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your responses.

ChrisB - The Silver Flute's have definitely caught my attention. I've browsed through the Madisound site before and saw that the SPL chart on them looks unbelievable - literally. I just now found a diyaudio thread that mentions them and includes a link to a favorable review of a high-end speaker that contains a similar (or same?) silver flute driver - with excellent base response.

FWIW, it seems from the quick search that I just did, that the people who have tried them say they have a warm sound. I've also read some similar comments about the FF85WK. So I am thinking that this might be my driver.

I should probably download a simulator - does anyone have any suggestions?

After I download the simulator, I will try to figure out an enclosure on my own but can anyone give me an idea of what kind of bass it would be capable of with a given cabinet size and porting scheme? Here are the specs but the Qts=0.29 & Vas = 28L. The link says an F3 of 60Hz in 0.42 ft3 vented enclosure but can anything better be achieved without trading off too much quality?

Thanks again for your help.
Old 20th February 2012, 09:32 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goody75 View Post
I should probably download a simulator - does anyone have any suggestions?
WinISD Pro works reasonably well for vented boxes.

LinearTeam

Quote:
After I download the simulator, I will try to figure out an enclosure on my own but can anyone give me an idea of what kind of bass it would be capable of with a given cabinet size and porting scheme? Here are the specs but the Qts=0.29 & Vas = 28L. The link says an F3 of 60Hz in 0.42 ft3 vented enclosure but can anything better be achieved without trading off too much quality?
I get an F3 of ~58Hz, so pretty close FWIW.

jeff
Old 21st February 2012, 03:29 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:

dave
Sorry, Planet10. I didn't blow off your recommendation. I hastily did a search on them earlier, didn't find anything on them and didn't pursue it any further until now. The problem was that I didn't realize they were Creative Sound Solutions and I think I fat fingered the speaker name on top of it.

The price is fine. I especially like the lower Fs on these. And it is too bad there aren't any more in white because the Fs is 32.9 instead of 33.7 for the black ones . If I do go with them, I can't do the ML-TL... I didn't mention this before but these speakers will need to be more of the bookshelf sized variety, they don't have to be tiny though.
Old 21st February 2012, 04:06 AM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
The price is fine. I especially like the lower Fs on these. And it is too bad there aren't any more in white because the Fs is 32.9 instead of 33.7 for the black ones . If I do go with them, I can't do the ML-TL... I didn't mention this before but these speakers will need to be more of the bookshelf sized variety, they don't have to be tiny though.
The diff in Fs is immaterial.

These could be manipulated into a large bookshelf, fold it for a start. Changing the width would require an XO point shift. 1 woofer per side instead of 2 halves the xSection

dave
Old 21st February 2012, 04:34 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The diff in Fs is immaterial.

These could be manipulated into a large bookshelf, fold it for a start. Changing the width would require an XO point shift. 1 woofer per side instead of 2 halves the xSection

dave
If th 36" height is maintained, could I change the OD xsection from 8" x 10.5" to roughly 16" x 6" to keep the folded depth more reasonable? With a single fold, this would put the overall cab OD in the ballpark of w16" x d12" x h18". I think that size is pretty reasonable.

Hide this!Advertise here!