Bass Helper Recommendations for FF85WK?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not sure if this should go in multi-way or fullrange but here we go...

I am planning my first speaker build and, at the moment, I'm leaning toward using one of the Fostex WK full rangers. I think I want to use the FF85WK (for better HF dispersion) and throw in a helper woofer for bass support. I would appreciate it if anyone can make a recommendation for the woofer. I am not wedded to a particular enclosure or woofer size but I am trying to keep the width of the enclosure within reason (< 2ft). I am also working on a limited budget and would like to keep the cost of the woofers to under $60 each.

Also can anyone make a comment about whether one of the aluminum cone Dayton's (DA175, 215 or 270) might fit with the FF85WK? My guess is that they are too different but I really like the prices on them at Parts-Express.

Thanks for your help.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
This almost falls within your criteria: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/css/176790-el166-mtm-ml-tl.html (woofers are $72/pr, no white ones left thou)

They should be even better with FF85wk vrs FF85k.

195454d1289116224-marks-proto-6-5-woofer-1-silk-tweet-combo-el166-mtm-front.jpg

We used SDX7 with FF85K in Tysen.

We are playing with a number of affordable Peerless.

dave

Thanks for your responses.

ChrisB - The Silver Flute's have definitely caught my attention. I've browsed through the Madisound site before and saw http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/134133-hi-vi-w6-silver-flute-w17rc38-dayton-rs150s.htmlthat the SPL chart on them looks unbelievable - literally. I just now found a diyaudio thread that mentions them and includes a link to a favorable review of a high-end speaker that contains a similar (or same?) silver flute driver - with excellent base response.

FWIW, it seems from the quick search that I just did, that the people who have tried them say they have a warm sound. I've also read some similar comments about the FF85WK. So I am thinking that this might be my driver.

I should probably download a simulator - does anyone have any suggestions?

After I download the simulator, I will try to figure out an enclosure on my own but can anyone give me an idea of what kind of bass it would be capable of with a given cabinet size and porting scheme? Here are the specs but the Qts=0.29 & Vas = 28L. The link says an F3 of 60Hz in 0.42 ft3 vented enclosure but can anything better be achieved without trading off too much quality?

Thanks again for your help.

I should probably download a simulator - does anyone have any suggestions?

WinISD Pro works reasonably well for vented boxes.

LinearTeam

After I download the simulator, I will try to figure out an enclosure on my own but can anyone give me an idea of what kind of bass it would be capable of with a given cabinet size and porting scheme? Here are the specs but the Qts=0.29 & Vas = 28L. The link says an F3 of 60Hz in 0.42 ft3 vented enclosure but can anything better be achieved without trading off too much quality?

I get an F3 of ~58Hz, so pretty close FWIW.

jeff

This almost falls within your criteria: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/css/176790-el166-mtm-ml-tl.html (woofers are $72/pr, no white ones left thou)

They should be even better with FF85wk vrs FF85k.

195454d1289116224-marks-proto-6-5-woofer-1-silk-tweet-combo-el166-mtm-front.jpg

We used SDX7 with FF85K in Tysen.

We are playing with a number of affordable Peerless.

dave

Sorry, Planet10. I didn't blow off your recommendation. I hastily did a search on them earlier, didn't find anything on them and didn't pursue it any further until now. The problem was that I didn't realize they were Creative Sound Solutions and I think I fat fingered the speaker name on top of it.

The price is fine. I especially like the lower Fs on these. And it is too bad there aren't any more in white because the Fs is 32.9 instead of 33.7 for the black ones :D. If I do go with them, I can't do the ML-TL... I didn't mention this before but these speakers will need to be more of the bookshelf sized variety, they don't have to be tiny though.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The price is fine. I especially like the lower Fs on these. And it is too bad there aren't any more in white because the Fs is 32.9 instead of 33.7 for the black ones :D. If I do go with them, I can't do the ML-TL... I didn't mention this before but these speakers will need to be more of the bookshelf sized variety, they don't have to be tiny though.

The diff in Fs is immaterial.

These could be manipulated into a large bookshelf, fold it for a start. Changing the width would require an XO point shift. 1 woofer per side instead of 2 halves the xSection

dave

The diff in Fs is immaterial.

These could be manipulated into a large bookshelf, fold it for a start. Changing the width would require an XO point shift. 1 woofer per side instead of 2 halves the xSection

dave

If th 36" height is maintained, could I change the OD xsection from 8" x 10.5" to roughly 16" x 6" to keep the folded depth more reasonable? With a single fold, this would put the overall cab OD in the ballpark of w16" x d12" x h18". I think that size is pretty reasonable.

Amplifier Wattage?

I am thinking about building an amp to go with these speakers. Assuming I go with the EL166 MTM ML-TL design (folded with single woofer & ff85wk), can anyone give me a ballpark idea of the minimum wattage I need for the amp?

I am thinking about getting one of the 2x34W (@ 8ohms) LM3886 Gainclone Kits floating around on ebay. I don't have the budget for an F5 :( Do you think this will have enough juice for the E166 MTM ML-TL speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.