£200 budget for full range drivers, which ones and what set-up for first speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i have an upper budget of £200 for drivers+filters for a full range pair of speakers.

for that kind of money (excluding wood) what driver and enclosure would be my best bet?

fostex FE166En seems to get good reviews with a back loaded horn, would these get the thumbs up?

want a good all round performer with bass starting at 80hz, sub will take care of the rest (eventually).

extra points for easy to source in the UK drivers.

thanks for your help.

With the FE166En you could also try my design.

can you show me please?

Kim Chi requires FE167e (hard to find, i have a few), will work with FF165wk. Very revealing of amplifier shortcomings.

dave

posted the wrong picture!

these (126e) look to have more appealing high end than the 166e

can you post me a link to the combination that you suggestion before, i've found the CSS driver but can't find the enclosure.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I (and my wife - always important) really like the look and projected performance of the Frugal horn. The Frugal-Horns Site -- High Performance, Low Cost DIY Horn Designs

Looks like you have a few FR drivers that would serve - but the Mark Audio Alpair 7 gets high marks and fits easily in your budget.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

those are indeed attractive speaker boxes.

my main concern with a FR system is it won't be very loud, which i know kinda defeats the purpose of the entire thing but it would be nice if i could use them to watch a film at a decent volume.

i want to get as close to the sound quality as below for my budget, alas at this moment in time i can't afford a £400 uber driver to do it properly. even through my current speakers those sound beautiful to me and far better than any other clips of production speakers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T6MfTbzr0Q

can you double up on smaller FR drivers, within the same horn, to get the extra SPL reinforcement without ruining the quality?

the other question is, is it worth me spending £200 on my first horns with a proven design, or would it be more beneficial in the long run to use a cheaper visaton driver like the bg20 and try and make my own design from scratch?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.