Bass Relfex project - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th February 2012, 02:57 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Bass Reflex project

Hi all, I am looking for some well schooled advise from over here.
I am trying to do my homework, but it gets confusing..
I originally wanted to try out a Mark Audio, but after being honest with myself - realize that i may play music a little too loud for these.
I listen mainly to classic rock type music and figure i better go 8" full range. So I am thinking of building a bass reflex cabinet with 8" full range driver.
What is my best option for optimal sound. (i have narowed to the following)
Tang Band 1808
Audio Nirvana
SEAS Prestige
Fostex FF225WK
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mike

Last edited by Mike in NJ; 21st February 2012 at 03:10 AM. Reason: correct typo's
Old 19th February 2012, 03:06 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Take a look at the BetsyK's: Wild Burro Audio Labs - Fullrange Speakers - The Betsy & Betsy-K Drivers

I just acquired a pair and and breaking them in. They model very nicely in 61 liters vented. F3/F10 48/35 Hz. This is using as measured T/S parameters, partially run in. They also have some nice presence even when listening in open air.
Old 19th February 2012, 04:48 PM   #3
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in NJ View Post
What is my best option for optmal sound.
First you need to define 'loud'.

Then, loud + 8" 'FR' normally = very efficient driver + large [unless possibly corner loaded] BLH for low distortion, so the first consideration becomes how big/complex are you willing to 'afford'?

Last, but not least, 'optimal' is a variable based on one's hearing acuity, personal preference, any WAF/SAF/S.O. considerations and the room conditions, so please elaborate as best you can.

GM
Old 19th February 2012, 05:11 PM   #4
Squeak is offline Squeak  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Not knowing how much you know about FR in general, such large drivers will beam. A lot. Which means you will only have optimal highs for a single fixed sweetspot seat.
Take that into account if you (or anyone you live with) will want to use them for casual walk around/sit anywhere listening.
You could use helper (super) tweeters or multiple drivers to negate that drawback to some extent though, with a penalty in complexity of build and slight overall degrade in the characteristics of what makes fullrangers desirable.

Last edited by Squeak; 19th February 2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old 19th February 2012, 06:20 PM   #5
hm is offline hm  Europe
diyAudio Member

Default Mike

Hello for loud better take a double horn with two driver or
a satellite horn down to 100 Hz, look my HP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg marcel1web.jpg (8.9 KB, 294 views)
File Type: jpg rdhb200web.jpg (18.7 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpg Schalmeisat1.JPG (142.8 KB, 291 views)

Last edited by hm; 19th February 2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old 19th February 2012, 11:44 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi all, thank you for the replies.
I listen say 95 -100 db.
I have a dedicated listening room (finnished basement) so narrow sweet spot is no problem.
I want to keep pretty simple just vented box.
I have a Music Reference RM 200 tube amp to drive them.
Old 20th February 2012, 12:14 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I have done much research on the Tang Band and Audio Nirvana drivers. I have less familiarity with the Seas and Fostex units. The W8-1808 has received glowing reviews by most who have used it. I have seen no negative comments about it. Those who have tried the Audio Nirvana drivers seem to be divided---some like them, some dislike them, and the opinions can be very strong either way.

From what I gather, although the 1808 has the overall rising frequency response of most full-range drivers, it appears to be without the large peaks and dips in the response (especially in the upper midrange) that plague many other designs. It also appears that the quality control of Tang Band manufacturing may be higher than that of Audio Nirvana.

You don't mention where or how much you have researched. My suggestion is to begin with the data sheets of the drivers that interest you and use some speaker design software to get an idea of the recommended bass reflex cabinet size and expected frequency response for each driver/cabinet combination. This may tell you whether the cabinets will fit well in your living space and what performance you may expect from them (for rock music you will want plenty of bass response). I use the online calculators at www.lautsprechershop.de and www.mh-audio.nl.

I also suggest you read as many reviews of each driver as you can find. Diy Audio is a great source for information of that kind. Also check out Parts Express, Madisound, and Brines Acoustics if you have not already done so.

I don't know anything about your amplifier. Do you know whether it will drive each speaker to a sufficient volume level for your taste? The efficiency of the driver you choose will determine how loudly it will play with your amplifier, so if you choose to use your tube amp, you may want to pay extra attention to speaker efficiency. Also, check out the Nelson Pass article on full-range drivers and amplifiers. It may give you food for thought.

My personal take on all of this: I like the sound of bass reflex cabinets if they are tuned well (without a booming "one note" bass). I purchased a pair of W8-1808 drivers and have settled upon a bass reflex cabinet to house them. I plan to drive them with a solid-state amplifier with a high enough damping factor to keep the low end under control and sufficient power to provide enough headroom for good dynamic performance. In my opinion you won't go wrong with the 1808 in the right bass reflex cabinet and the right amplifier driving it.
Old 20th February 2012, 02:40 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

>>> I listen mainly to classic rock type music...

>>> The W8-1808 has received glowing reviews by most who have used it. I have seen no negative comments about it.

Personally, i think the 1808 sounds best with jazz. It's a very intimate driver that lets the details show thru without being in your face. It works with classic rock but cannot handle a lot of power. So as good as it may sound at reasonable volumes it won't play as loud, cleanly, as other speakers.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 20th February 2012, 03:11 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

As an aside, it is pretty much a general statement that unless you do something like a FAST system, single-driver speakers don't play loud. However, once you get the bass off of the wide-range drivers, things get different. I have a pair of MA Alpair 7.3's crossed to a sub at 160Hz for HT. These speakers get crazy loud without over excusing the A7.3's.

Bob
Old 20th February 2012, 03:39 PM   #10
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Yep, and done right acoustically, you don't even need a XO.

GM

Hide this!Advertise here!