Horsing around with a BB 3.01 bipole - vent locations?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everybody,

A very clever designer friend I have wants to have some fun building speakers. We're doing some experiments. We want to build something elegant and effective, in a shape that is around 7-10 liters I think. All or part of it may be hollowed out. I have a pair of Omnes BB 3.01 three-inchers that we are going to fool around with, test different configurations and explore whether 3-inch fullrangers are "big enough" for what the designer wants.

A pair of BB 3.01's in a bipole should be interesting. We simmed the thing in ISD Online, got a 2L vented box tuned to ~113Hz as the "optimum", and will be knocking together a mule in that configuration.

We're wondering about the venting. It seems that when you're building a vented bipole, you double the box volume and double the number of vents - or rather, you double the total vent volume, keeping the vent length the same. Either by duplicating the vent for one driver, or by doubling the width of an equivalent slot vent. (Or so I gather.)

tl;dr: We're going for the two-vent route in our bipole. What I'm wondering is this - what is the effect of having all-front venting, versus back venting, versus one front one back vent? And what about venting to the sides? Bottom?

And where can I read up on this particular issue? I'd love to become self-sufficient, but I don't know where to start :)

Last edited:
How does this look, roughly? .I'm not sure the vent area / length is correct. Ccan you shoot down the design in general? I was thinking to try top-firing, bottom-firing and side-firing vents in one design by rotating it.

Attachments

• Omnes Box FB FBFB.png
    Omnes Box FB FBFB.png
    33.2 KB · Views: 73
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.