Revised DIY OB Speakers With Horns

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thank you again everyone for the great suggestions to improve on my first version.
I took all your recommendations very seriously and made some temporary changes to see how the sound would improve and what I heard was nothing short of astonishing so I spent the last week redesigning the original version into the one you see in the pictures. Music sounds incredibly natural, open, with exceptional imaging.
After listening for a while I tested the system using the Stereophile test CD3 looking to see how well the lower frequency response is and obtained the following readings using an SPL meter:
Frequency SPL
200 hz 98 db
160 98
125 94
100 87
80 85
63 82
50 88
40 85
31.5 75
25 70
20 64
Thank you again to everyone for the very useful suggestions. Not only do the speakers sound better they also look great.
Thank you,
Ruben

Attachments

• Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    359.1 KB · Views: 229
  • Picture 008.jpg
    Picture 008.jpg
    501.5 KB · Views: 214
  • Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    367.1 KB · Views: 207
The most readily apparent/notable improvement was in the imaging. With the previous configuration I was having a bit of a hard time making adjustments to center the sound and get pin point accuracy with instrument placement, etc...Before the rework I had to play for an hour to get something good. Now I had great imaging before making any adjustments and within minutes of playing with the placement the focus and instrument placement was spectacular.
Also, the base notes go lower. I heard with my ears and saw in the SPL meter sound down to the low 20's which I did not experience before and which completely surprised me given the OB design.
Other than that it just sounds more coherent, as if the music players are in the right spots playing together as a band. Don't get me wrong, I loved the sound as it was originally configured but this rework took the speakers a couple of notches higher.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.