Dome tweeters - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th February 2012, 01:59 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Dome tweeters

Am I alone in simply not wanting to use these things? I have a bunch at home sitting unused in boxes. The better sounding and most expensive ones seem to roll off around 10k (smoothly) and the cheapies peak, dip, fiz and spit. While I love the idea of a small thing radiating beautiful treble I just can't seem to find a way to sonically integrate them with full range drivers.

Zilla
Old 16th February 2012, 02:01 PM   #2
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

I know what you mean but I have had rather good luck integrating domes with FR drivers as you can XO them so high. It's the 2-5K range that I find hard to get right.
Old 16th February 2012, 02:17 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

>>> It's the 2-5K range that I find hard to get right.

Agree. And when you think you have it right and move the speaker to another spot in the room it's all wrong again. LOL. Maybe not all the tweeters fault as it's partnering with another driver.

As for the benefits of fullrange, i like popping the driver into an appropriate box (of sorts) and playing with toe in. If the sound doesn't suit the room i change the driver/cabinet altogether.
Old 16th February 2012, 03:03 PM   #4
IG81 is offline IG81  Canada
diyAudio Member

I prefer using CD's on waveguides/horns, namely the K-Tubes. I do have a bunch of domes in boxes, but no real interest to put them to use. The coolest dome I have is that old Foster phenolic on a small plastic horn; I think it sounds quite nice and I measured its FR once, the damned little thing extended all the way to ~20khz. Can't seem to find that graph though... :/

IG
Old 16th February 2012, 03:25 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I've been playing around with adding tweeters to full ranges (shhh don't tell anybody )

My observation is if the crossover point is where you can use the full range to its best advantage, ie 4-5kHz, the full range is going to be beaming a fair bit and the dome will still be dispersing well.

I've had some reasonable results but I think the discontinuity in the power response is the source of poor integration. I think a lot of people are quite sensitive to this.

Waveguides for the tweeter are next on my list to explore to try and control the directivity better at the crossover point.

Last edited by simon dart; 16th February 2012 at 03:27 PM. Reason: bad grammar
Old 16th February 2012, 03:30 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Maybe some 19 mm or 22 mm would fit better , if they have to reproduce modern ( with higher aliasing filter frequency ) formats ,such HR files . They extend well beyond 20 KHz
Check these Seas :
http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...-dome-tweeter/
SEAS Prestige 22TAF/G (H1283) Alum/Magn. Alloy 22 mm Dome Tweeter: Madisound Speaker Store
Seas Prestige H1280-06 22TFF tweeter: Madisound Speaker Store

Last edited by picowallspeaker; 16th February 2012 at 03:34 PM. Reason: first link is wrong
Old 16th February 2012, 03:44 PM   #7
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Because I am mostly in the sweet spot while listening, the beaming isn't a problem. Since spending time with planet10, I have really begun to appreciate the benefits of the FR but can't fully get over the fact I kinda like a bit more bass and treble. Most recently I have had a lot of fun with the FR and helper woofers and tweeters. Just enough help that you don't take away from the FR but at the same time you don't feel cheated in the lows and highs dept.
Old 16th February 2012, 04:35 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
>>> It's the 2-5K range that I find hard to get right.

Agree. And when you think you have it right and move the speaker to another spot in the room it's all wrong again. LOL.
Sounds like you moved it to close to a wall or something. If you're use to listening to directional FR drivers, then add a dome tweeter that flares nearly 180 degrees, that might be confusing to your brain. If you're far from walls, that range will be easily attenuated within the room. And depending on the xo frequency, it likely messed up the power response, again adding to room placement issues.

How big of a driver are you adding dome tweeters too?
Old 16th February 2012, 05:19 PM   #9
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
Most recently I have had a lot of fun with the FR and helper woofers and tweeters. Just enough help that you don't take away from the FR but at the same time you don't feel cheated in the lows and highs dept.
Yeah, single VC 'full-range' drivers were originally for PA [Public Address] systems with a ~flat 200-4500 Hz BW and up to 70-7000 Hz [two decades] for large vocal groups to orchestral music reproduction with wider BW and/or more dynamic performance requiring a two or three way system.

If one does the research same as Bell Labs, etc. did, one finds the latter an excellent trade-off for designing a two or three way speaker with ample power handling for a relatively wide dynamic range at low distortion both on and off axis [within reason].

Regardless, from this I concluded that shifting the decades to suit my needs was the correct design approach and nothing I've read/experienced since then has convinced me otherwise, though for near-field apps where it can be toe'd in to a solo seating, one can cheat quite a bit since both power handling and good off axis response requirements are minimal. Bob Brines's Lowther floor-standing MLTL is a good example as is some small TB, Fostex, RS driver folded pipe horns designed for desk placement I've auditioned.

GM
Old 16th February 2012, 05:36 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I have no issue with the HF of the Alair 7.3. Its larger brother 10.2 suffers a bit more. I am soon to try the 6p which is the smallest of his offerings. I have yet to see a tweeter that offers something different. The 6p's off axis is as good as most quality tweeters.

Hide this!Advertise here!