Newbie alert: Recommendations for full range desktop drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I am brand new to the diy audio stuff :) Been reading a lot here on the forums for the last days and trying to soak up some of the knowledge you guys have gathered here about amps and speakers :) Btw. excuse my not-perfect english, I'm not a native english speaker.

I am on the planning stage with a set of desktop speakers (2.0), I was wondering if you guys have any recommendations regarding the drivers.

I'm focusing on 3" full range drivers because I want the speakers to be quite compact, even very compact.

I´ve been looking at the Fountek FR88-EX and it seems to me that those could work for what I have in mind, what do you guys think? Any other recommendations?

Also regarding an amp, what would you say is ideal to power a pair of fr88ex? I've been looking at some of the Tripath Class-T kits and they interest me the most so far.

Thanks in advance,
A brand spanking Newbie! :)

Assuming you're in the typical <1m listening range, a 3" is a very good idea. Personally, I would find a design that works well sealed. The MA drivers have excellent xmax. Then use your computer to add a Linkwitz transform to level the bass. Being a newb, you may need help with this, and I'm sure you can get it here.

The fostex have excellent sensitivity, but I'd neglect that for the added bass from an insensitive driver within the nearfield.

My personal desktop setup right now is 7.5L sealed CSS EL70s with the Linkwitz Transform I mentioned. These make my home system embarrassed to call themselves hifi :cool:

EDIT - I should note, that bass eq can eat up amp power quickly. Thankfully in the nearfield this is less of a concern. But what amp are you planning on using? What is your overall budget?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.