Fostex FE126En in an Fonken enclosure? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th February 2012, 01:03 PM   #1
pinjo is offline pinjo  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Fostex FE126En in an Fonken enclosure?

I am a first timer in building speakers and want to start with an affordable project. I wanted to build a fonken enclosure with Fostex Fe127e driver. Unfortunately these are no longer available.

So I was wondering which fonken enclosure would suit best with the Fostex Fe126en?

Or is this not possible?

I also looked at other Fostex drivers, since I love the white cone and looks are important to me.
The FX120 goes well with a Fonken enclosure, but those are way more expensive. And it was not clear to me if the miniOnken can be combined with the Fe103en

The second step in making things harder for myself is that i want to mount the drivers on the inside. As is done with the original Blumenstein Orca's.

http://gearpatrol.com/2011/04/19/blu...-orca-speaker/

Is this at all possible I can find no information on this subject.

So what is the best fonken fostex, if possible mounted inside the enclosure, combination currently avaiable?

Last edited by pinjo; 15th February 2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old 15th February 2012, 02:21 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Am I the only one that can't see what's written here?
Old 15th February 2012, 02:35 PM   #3
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Can you see it now?
Old 15th February 2012, 02:37 PM   #4
pinjo is offline pinjo  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

There was a problem with the image in the post I think. I could not see it myself and thus not edit the post. However thanks to your reply I can and removed the image and placed an link to the Blumenstein Orca's. Hope it works now.
Old 15th February 2012, 02:40 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Nope, apparently I was the first to post here (#1 next to my post). Seems odd. Perhaps the OP tried to delete the thread and was unsuccessful?
Old 15th February 2012, 02:51 PM   #6
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Actually you're both wrong. It was a glitch with the software. Happens every so often. If you see that again, just report the post and one of us will take care of it.

If you are having problems with posting pics, send it (them) to ones of the mods and we'll look after it.
Old 15th February 2012, 03:11 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Cheers Cal.

Right, the Fostex FE**6 series has a Qts too low to use in a Fonken enclosure: these drivers need reinforcement from horns to get any bass out of them.

If you wanted to stick with the Fonken design, look at the newer Fostex drivers, or something by Mark Audio - any of these have a more balanced Qts suited to ported designs. (as a rule of thumb, look for Qts >0.3, <0.5 for ported)

Chris
Old 15th February 2012, 05:23 PM   #8
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris661 View Post
Cheers Cal.

Right, the Fostex FE**6 series has a Qts too low to use in a Fonken enclosure: these drivers need reinforcement from horns to get any bass out of them.

If you wanted to stick with the Fonken design, look at the newer Fostex drivers, or something by Mark Audio - any of these have a more balanced Qts suited to ported designs. (as a rule of thumb, look for Qts >0.3, <0.5 for ported)

Chris
The "F" in Fonken indeed refers to use of "Fostex" Full range drivers - initially & serendipitously the FE127E, but subsequently with appropriate revisions to volume and tuning schema, also proven with FE167/ F120A/ FX120/ FF85K/ FF85WK/ FF125WK/ FF165K.

I could be misremembering, but IINM, at least one builder has experimented with the FE126 in this enclosure - it would certainly "work", but should be expected to have very weak bass output, and an overbearingly forward midrange presentation.

As Chris661 notes, the architecture also works well with all models of Mark Audio drivers yet tested - again with appropriate adjustments to enclosure volumes and port dimensions - they'd be designated as "Mar-Kens". Of those, my 2 favorites are the EL70 & Alpair7.

The total number of enclosure designs drawn to date (& not built) for these and other driver makes/models might well exceed the actual number of builds - and that's saying something.

All that said, of the currently available Fostex drivers, I'd opine the best bang for buck would be FF125WK, but be aware that the entire new WK series of drivers has reduced volume and different tuning requirements than depicted on the original drawings, and as I'm privy to many of unpublished or preliminary drawings, I can't be sure which are currently publicly available.
Old 15th February 2012, 06:50 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Morning, I have the 126 in the Frugal Horn and works great. I decided to get the 125 and put it in a new Fonken by Planet 10. The Fonken with the 125 is great so I decided to put in the 126 driver and as stated above it did NOT work well at all. The miss and highs were fine, not as good as the 125, but the bass was way off. I tried to see what it would sound like as I like to trial and error items. If you have the 126 and want to use it, email Planet 10 for some plans, but if not, get the 125 fostex and pay for the design from planet 10.. well worth the money. see my past posts for reviews.
Old 15th February 2012, 07:03 PM   #10
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonparkhurst View Post
Morning, I have the 126 in the Frugal Horn and works great. I decided to get the 125 and put it in a new Fonken by Planet 10. The Fonken with the 125 is great so I decided to put in the 126 driver and as stated above it did NOT work well at all. The miss and highs were fine, not as good as the 125, but the bass was way off. I tried to see what it would sound like as I like to trial and error items. If you have the 126 and want to use it, email Planet 10 for some plans, but if not, get the 125 fostex and pay for the design from planet 10.. well worth the money. see my past posts for reviews.

As Jon notes, there are several proven DIY "freeware" designs in which the FE126E kicksazz, but the Fonken is not on that short list of mostly BLH types:

BIB, Buschorn MKI, FH3, Spawn Aiko & Saburo, Woden Valiant, Madisound BK12, Ron Clarke Austin A126 - I've built/ heard all of these except for a BIB.

A suggestion for a first time builder, the rectangular Fonkens are likely an easier build than the trapezoids

Hide this!Advertise here!