Big enclosures: is it worth it? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th February 2012, 03:09 PM   #1
kctess5 is offline kctess5  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Big enclosures: is it worth it?

So I've always wondered when i see some truly huge enclosures for little 4" drivers or really any fullrangers what the point it. Let's be honest your not going to be shaking the walls with any single driver over a wide range. What's the point of squeezing a few db from the 40s or 50s and then having a sub for under that.

Why not just crossover at 70hz so you can't locate the sub and lowpass the full ranger. Thus would improve power handling of the whole system and negate the need for a gigantic full range horn.

It seems lit if your going to have a sub anyways you might as well just cross a little bit higher. It's one thing if you don't have a sub but I'm just talking about the systems that do.
Old 13th February 2012, 03:13 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Let me guess : because the cabinet acts as a stand so you find the speaker at ear level .
Because at low volume you can turn the sub off .
Old 13th February 2012, 03:45 PM   #3
kctess5 is offline kctess5  United States
diyAudio Member

I mean its one thing to be ear height, I think that even some of the smaller spawn horns are within reason. I mean ones that dominate rooms. I seem to have misplaced the website but there's one I saw build by a guy and two interns that was made in 6 pieces just to fit it in the door. It was a exponential horn in a spiral shape with the driver mounted sort of in the middle of the mouth in part of the throat that dropped down. In addition to this behemoth he has two gigantic transmission line subs. It seems like you only need one or the other. A huge speaker with no sub or a huge sub and a small speaker if you know what i mean
Old 13th February 2012, 04:01 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Yes I do believe !! Once , I was fund also on horn enclosures ; my system now it's two way with 25 cm in TL and 1" dome plus waveguide .
But some may be fascinated by some strange contortions made by the air waves inside the enclosures , and how they might extend the lower octaves ;
it depends also on music genre , perhaps country music with guitar and voice only is good when heard with a full range and a big enclosure ...sort of an extension of the harmonic chassis of the guitar
As you said , it's the system and not the speakers : it is also the room ,and how many electronic devices do you want to employ at reproduction . Some may be happy with a simple SE tube amp , others not a simple one
Some others a full stack of heavy SS amps with electronic crossovers ...and so on .
Old 13th February 2012, 05:03 PM   #5
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

For 3W triode amps you wont need a sub but a big horn. Sensitivity is the key.
Old 13th February 2012, 05:28 PM   #6
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kctess5 View Post
I mean its one thing to be ear height, I think that even some of the smaller spawn horns are within reason. I mean ones that dominate rooms. I seem to have misplaced the website but there's one I saw build by a guy and two interns that was made in 6 pieces just to fit it in the door. It was a exponential horn in a spiral shape with the driver mounted sort of in the middle of the mouth in part of the throat that dropped down. In addition to this behemoth he has two gigantic transmission line subs. It seems like you only need one or the other. A huge speaker with no sub or a huge sub and a small speaker if you know what i mean

Sounds to me like you're referring to Nelson Pass's Kleinhorn / El Pipo (shown below without the subs)

http://www.passdiy.com/pdf/KleinHorn.pdf

http://www.passdiy.com/pdf/KleinHorn2.pdf

Note the size of room, and that Papa has deeper pockets than many of us here with which to play with such silly toys - envy? - indeed

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 13th February 2012, 07:01 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I've put 5" drivers into BIBs and the bass shakes the walls. The cheap 5" Dayton full range driver in BIBs is quite good at playing reggae loudly in a small room. I don't get the same room filling bass from the Fostex 127e but those drivers play more delicately than the Dayton. Loading drivers (large or small) in a BLH offers a different sound (more jump, larger image, fuller mids) than just boxing the drivers up in sealed or ported cabs. I could completely understand why some would want small drivers in horns even if they do add a sub for that last bit of bass.
Old 13th February 2012, 07:13 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I use subs. If nothing else, making the FR driver flap around more than it needs to isn't a good idea.

Even when turned up in my bedroom, my system won't properly shake the walls.

My 4x10" 300w bass rig however...
Old 13th February 2012, 09:26 PM   #9
bubuxxl is offline bubuxxl  Portugal
diyAudio Member

oh, there´s nothing like horn bass... sounds so natural and effortless!I built the viech (back loaded exponential horn) with the 8 inch beymas and there´s no way I´m going back to plain bass reflex, sealed, or whatever! I´ll be trying something smaller now for my bedroom, and the route will be...another horn!
Old 13th February 2012, 09:34 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I've built a pair of Vulcan's and they have great bass, I love the simplicity of a full range system, it sounds better then my three ways and it's difficult to imagine a seamless link to a sub woofer.
I am trying to get advice on upscaling but have met a surprising degree of reticence.

Hide this!Advertise here!