First DIY Audio Project - Open Baffle Full Range Speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th February 2012, 12:55 PM   #1
Ruben 1 is offline Ruben 1  United States
diyAudio Member

Default First DIY Audio Project - Open Baffle Full Range Speakers

Hello everyone, first post here. I have been an audio enthusiast for many years progressing from SS electronics to tubes and then going from CDs to LPs as the primary source. For some time now I have been wanting to improve my speakers but what I had was already good (in my opinion anyway) so I would have had to spend a lot of money to improve on them so a year ago I decided to make my own speakers as I am fairly handy. Since I love the sound of horns I decided my speakers would incorporate somehow horns. Not only do I love the sound of horns but also absolutely love the wooden horns which you can see readily on the web. I also wanted something different than the box type speakers which are so common (to include the ones I had) so my research led me to the open baffle design.

I have been researching the open baffle designs and reading as much as I could find to make sure I understood all the relevant design parameters which must be accounted for in order to get a good sound (and not just have good looking speakers).
The results are the speakers you see in the pictures. The drivers and crossover are from my Series 1 Klipsch Epic CF 3. The woofers are 10 and the signal is crossed at 1500 Hz.
I am absolutely amazed how incredibly deep the base goes. I tested the speakers last night with the Stereophile test CD 3 and the LF test tones revealed solid sound pressure down to 40Hz then rapidly rolling off with no sound detected below 32 Hz.

The highs are crystal clear and blend perfectly well with the woofers. I am very please with the results and currently do not plan on making any modifications to this design.
The whole thing took me 2 weeks to make with the horns taking half the time. Everything is solid red oak except for the baffles which are red oak plywood. The horns weigh 12 pounds each and are made of inch red oak wood floors which I had in the garage as a left over from when we redid the floors in the house. They are solid and if I may say so incredibly beautiful to look at.
In any case I wanted to share this project with everyone here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 167.jpg (598.0 KB, 538 views)

Last edited by Ruben 1; 11th February 2012 at 01:10 PM. Reason: My pictures did not upload?
Old 11th February 2012, 01:49 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default More pics

Attaching more pics of the speakers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 170.jpg (631.2 KB, 487 views)
Old 11th February 2012, 02:17 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

More pics
Old 14th February 2012, 02:30 AM   #4
tli is offline tli  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm pleased to be the first to say CONGRATS! Those look absolutely terrific, the horns in particular. My own personal DIY project never got off the ground as I thought it would so learning of your completed project is inspiring.

WELL DONE!
Old 14th February 2012, 11:55 PM   #5
ra7 is offline ra7  United States
diyAudio Member

Those look really good. Congrats!

Why is the horn so far away from the woofers? With a 1.5 kHz crossover, surely the center to center distance is too large. I would suggest moving the horn as close to the woofers as possible, and putting the bullet tweeter on top of the horn. My 2c.
Old 15th February 2012, 03:45 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thank you for the comments.
I am inf act reconfiguring the horn and tweeter placement so the coils are better aligned on the vertical with the horns much closer to the woofers and the tweeter above the horns. Once I am done in the next couple of days I will repost a few pictures.

I already did some test listening based on the new configuration and the sound was devine so you are right that the woofer was way too high to have the most coherent image.

Will post some pics soon.
Thanks again for the coments.

Hide this!Advertise here!