Back loaded horn form vs function vs size

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm becoming a huge fan of back loaded horns. Im really interested in the form being visible.
But i saw in another thread that:
"Ideally a horn should be at least a 1/4 wavelength long at its cutoff... short-horns have a lot of reflections and perhaps are better called wave-guides."

Some of the prettiest and my favorites seem to fall short in the sound dept. i.e. Specimen's little horn, B&W Emphasis because the horn length is too short?

Some of the best reviewed seem to disguise to beauty of a horn. i.e. FH MK3, BK12M, Hornshoppe. in favor of folding the full length horn

Those that get both right are enormous. i.e. Pnoe Horn, Ring Audio Horn.

Any suggestions for size, sound, visual all in one?
Or is it like "fast, quality, cheap - pick two." ?

Nothing to do with disguising 'beauty' (I suppose it's all in the eye of the beholder. I prefer to reflect on Zoe Tapper [see below] myself) & rather more to do with practicality. Purely considering smooth curves & leaving other matters aside, they're certainly aesthetically pleasing if you like that sort of thing, but not everyone can fabricate complex shapes, and they aren't necessarily (let alone automatically) an advantage, since they tend to promote maximum efficiency at the top end of a back-horn's operational BW, right where, in most cases, you don't want it / could do with the opposite.

Attachments

• Zoe.jpg
    Zoe.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:
That woman in the pic (Zoe) looks like an angel in devil's clothing... I'm not sure about the comparison to back horns but she can sit in my listening room anytime! Some of the rectangular (on the outside) back horns are elegant in their stature with broad sides. I used to think it might be a neat idea to represent (artistically) the innards of the cabinet on the side.

That woman in the pic (Zoe) looks like an angel in devil's clothing... I'm not sure about the comparison to back horns but she can sit in my listening room anytime! Some of the rectangular (on the outside) back horns are elegant in their stature with broad sides. I used to think it might be a neat idea to represent (artistically) the innards of the cabinet on the side.

Jeff, don't get Scott (or I) started on the subject of your first line

Too late for that Chris... ;)

That woman in the pic (Zoe) looks like an angel in devil's clothing...

Closer than you realise Jeff. That shot of Zoe was backstage on the set of Demons, where she was playing Mina Harker (as in the one from Dracula) reimagined as a vampire in contemporary London. As I recall, they gave her a great run of put-downs to purr at all & sundry in a worryingly alluring fashion.

I used to think it might be a neat idea to represent (artistically) the innards of the cabinet on the side.

Why not? Could always machine the pattern into the side panels, or similar. Nice bit of wood carving.

Last edited:
Could always machine the pattern into the side panels, or similar. Nice bit of wood carving.

I thought that idea could be nice on the FH MK3 - inlay an inverted inverted horn, but that would be truly cosmetic and not show the actual beauty of the functioning horn.

I like the clear panel idea but there are no published plans of the stacked panel build style - that i can find.

Nice example of beauty of the function - not a bad size either.

Attachments

• horn speaker ideas7.jpg
    horn speaker ideas7.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 251
Function vs. Size

A little off topic, but I ran across this in the Salford stacks:

The pre-Dreadnought era is one of the least well served in modern naval history. The popular belief is that the dreadnought types were in fact ‘revolutionary’ and this is in many ways dangerously inaccurate assumption that ignores many of the events in the preceding era.

Is this correct? Anyone?:confused:

Best Regards,
Terry

It may seem strange at first, but there appears to be a definite correlation (or affinity) between back-loaded horns and the Sea.

Many of these so-called "horn aficionados", have evidently spent a period of time, at some point in their lives, either in boats or ships, and often... in the worst cases...actually living on islands!

All the data is presently awaiting tabulation, but if we can correctly identify the key factors we're confident that we will be able, perhaps within our own lifetime, to rid ourselves of these dangerous individuals...thus saving mankind.

This is the noble cause to which we have pledged our personal and professional lives.

Yours Truly,
Dr. Darwin A. Ward, Director
The International Institute of Criminal Phrenology and Phantasmic Phenomena

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.