Back loaded horn form vs function vs size - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th February 2012, 06:44 PM   #1
Lefty78 is offline Lefty78  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Back loaded horn form vs function vs size

I'm becoming a huge fan of back loaded horns. Im really interested in the form being visible.
But i saw in another thread that:
"Ideally a horn should be at least a 1/4 wavelength long at its cutoff... short-horns have a lot of reflections and perhaps are better called wave-guides."

Some of the prettiest and my favorites seem to fall short in the sound dept. i.e. Specimen's little horn, B&W Emphasis because the horn length is too short?

Some of the best reviewed seem to disguise to beauty of a horn. i.e. FH MK3, BK12M, Hornshoppe. in favor of folding the full length horn

Those that get both right are enormous. i.e. Pnoe Horn, Ring Audio Horn.

Any suggestions for size, sound, visual all in one?
Or is it like "fast, quality, cheap - pick two." ?
Old 10th February 2012, 07:31 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Nothing to do with disguising 'beauty' (I suppose it's all in the eye of the beholder. I prefer to reflect on Zoe Tapper [see below] myself) & rather more to do with practicality. Purely considering smooth curves & leaving other matters aside, they're certainly aesthetically pleasing if you like that sort of thing, but not everyone can fabricate complex shapes, and they aren't necessarily (let alone automatically) an advantage, since they tend to promote maximum efficiency at the top end of a back-horn's operational BW, right where, in most cases, you don't want it / could do with the opposite.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Zoe.jpg (227.9 KB, 262 views)

Last edited by Scottmoose; 10th February 2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10th February 2012, 08:17 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

That woman in the pic (Zoe) looks like an angel in devil's clothing... I'm not sure about the comparison to back horns but she can sit in my listening room anytime! Some of the rectangular (on the outside) back horns are elegant in their stature with broad sides. I used to think it might be a neat idea to represent (artistically) the innards of the cabinet on the side.
Old 10th February 2012, 08:40 PM   #4
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
That woman in the pic (Zoe) looks like an angel in devil's clothing... I'm not sure about the comparison to back horns but she can sit in my listening room anytime! Some of the rectangular (on the outside) back horns are elegant in their stature with broad sides. I used to think it might be a neat idea to represent (artistically) the innards of the cabinet on the side.

Jeff, don't get Scott (or I) started on the subject of your first line
Old 10th February 2012, 09:10 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Too late for that Chris...

Quote:
That woman in the pic (Zoe) looks like an angel in devil's clothing...
Closer than you realise Jeff. That shot of Zoe was backstage on the set of Demons, where she was playing Mina Harker (as in the one from Dracula) reimagined as a vampire in contemporary London. As I recall, they gave her a great run of put-downs to purr at all & sundry in a worryingly alluring fashion.

Quote:
I used to think it might be a neat idea to represent (artistically) the innards of the cabinet on the side.
Why not? Could always machine the pattern into the side panels, or similar. Nice bit of wood carving.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 10th February 2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10th February 2012, 11:25 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

It's almost a shame to hide the inner workings of something say like a sachiko. An acrylic panel would showcase quite well. It can be very expensive though and could prove to look a little tacky to some eyes.
Old 10th February 2012, 11:38 PM   #7
Lefty78 is offline Lefty78  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
Could always machine the pattern into the side panels, or similar. Nice bit of wood carving.
I thought that idea could be nice on the FH MK3 - inlay an inverted inverted horn, but that would be truly cosmetic and not show the actual beauty of the functioning horn.

I like the clear panel idea but there are no published plans of the stacked panel build style - that i can find.

Nice example of beauty of the function - not a bad size either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg horn speaker ideas7.jpg (6.9 KB, 205 views)
Old 10th February 2012, 11:52 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Check out this link. Same guy I think. Absolutely stunning. Two weeks pay worth of acrylic though.

http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/ind...11581#msg11581
Old 11th February 2012, 01:19 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Trouble is, the second you put damping in, it all looks horrific. I'm not a big fan of translam construction either, it's wasteful of material, nor does it always orient the material for optimal stiffness.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 11th February 2012 at 01:28 AM.
Old 11th February 2012, 01:28 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I don't think it would look all that bad. You could almost make nice little pillows out of some attractive fabric or if you were to place it very neatly.

Hide this!Advertise here!