Fullrange for open baffle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In the low budget segment, I enjoyed the Ciare CH250. With a baffle width of around 22 - 24 " (not ´!) it will do a nice job even without any correction.

If you wish, you may pimp it at a later time with 15" woofers like the Eminence Alpha 15A (suitingly cheap) and, in a luxury version even later, add a cheap (but very good for the money) dome tweeter like the Monacor DT 28N, crossing at, say, around 3,000 Hz.

That´s what I did and it has been great fun. Width at the bottom 16.5", at the "shoulders" 21.5", and hight 49". Front bent abit aroundt the vertical axis.

Regards
Till

Last edited:
Of course there are better woofers than the Alphas. Maybe a budget question as well...
My Alphas, however, improved severely after coating the inner side of its metal sheet frame with lots of hot glue and stripes of stiff 1/2 inch wool mat. May sound strange but worked well. More precise, accurate and seemingly even faster. Much better now.

Recently, I had the opportunity to listen to Audio Nirvana Super 10 Cast Frame in an open baffle. There are wonderstory to be read about those drivers in virtually all forums "around the world". It certainly is a very good wideband speaker, agreed.

However, since having chopped off the inner conus of the Ciare CH250 and using it as a midrange only, together with the Monacor DT28N Tweeter coupled in at around 3,000 Hz, I am convinced that this combination easily comes upt to those AN10. I was pretty surprised when I discovered that. Maybe even Ciare does not know what an excellent midrange they have here, if implemented the way described.

In a German Forum, I had a thread about my open baffle speakers (sorry, its all in German): Offene Schallwand mit Ciare CH250 und 2x Emminence Alpha 15A, Lautsprecher - HIFI-FORUM with lots of pictures taken during the building phase, too.

The crossover may be seen here: Bild: 115endgltigerweichenpl94lq.jpg - abload.de

Regards
Till

Howbig is very big? One of th ebest OBs i've heard was with a 6 1/2" korean made alnico driver -- specifically made for OB. The baffle was 16' wide and housed both channels.

On a smaller baffle the Visaton B200 does a crediable job -- it needs phase plugs to tame the high frequencies.

dave
Dave what was the OB driver you heard, I am presently looking for one?
Gary:)

In your price range, Supravox 215 Signature Bicone is probably the best bet.
There are other nice bicone drivers, but they are not ideal for OB because of lower qts.
If you are looking strictly for a single driver OB application, you are limited to bicones and ideally a qts of around 0.7

The Alpha 15a is not very good in an open baffle IME/IMO. Wooly sound and not very dynamic. Please consider the DeltaLite II 2515, check here: OBL11
Hi Nelson,
The Deltalite you refer to has a lower Qts than the alpha 15, with a similar Fs and Xmax. So I guess the deltalite would have a LF rolloff starting much above the alpha 15 albeit a much more rounded rolloff that might be audible as better transient bass response. Did you use a series resistor to increase the qts of the deltalite ?

How high a frequency are you playing the deltalite ? I see it rated upto 3700Hz !! And the response graph on eminence website is amazingly flat upto 3 Khz !!! So it could be technically be easily matched with just a tweeter and provide almost fullrange sound. Its response is so much smoother than even the 12 Beta LTA that is so often raved about, but sounded peaky and wooly on my flat OB.

Thanks for pointing out this driver.

Hi,

The Betsy:

Wild Burro Audio Labs - Fullrange Speakers - The Betsy & Betsy-K Drivers

Wild Burro Audio Labs - Fullrange Speaker Projects - Basic Open Baffle Design

betsy.jpg

Regards.

Now I'm wondering about the 15" datalite in a two way econowave style speaker. How drastically does the frequency response change off axis? I'd imagine it would be drastic for a 15 inches. Can the driver be used successfully up to approx 2500 - 3500khz?
Hi Godzilla,
I will follow your experiment with the deltalite 15 with great interest. The response graph on the Eminence site is almost unbelievable. It also drops like a rock above 3500Hz, so I guess it would not even need a lowpass filter ! For home use though, an OB may be more practical than a box cabinet.

BTW, please point me to what exactly is a econowave style speaker.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.