FR driver suggestions for HT line array

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After thinking about it for some years, I want to move forward with upgrading my HT with a pair of line arrays for the fronts (I'll kill the centre). This way I can have the soundstage level with the screen (6' projector).

I had always planned for using the square Alpair6, but this is discontinued and Mark has no plans for making the gen2 with a square frame :( so I need to look for an alternative.

What are my demands:
  • square frame (or round with straight edges) so the cones can be as close together as possible
  • decent dynamics
  • good sonic quality
  • not too expensive
I'll probably place 12 drivers per line, making the line ~1m long (approx the height of the screen) but might increase this to 16 for extra area (if budget permits). I'm crossing over to the sub at ~100Hz now, using 2*8" for each front and centre and I rather not have less area...

Any suggestions? I have considered drivers like the Tangband W3-1285, which I like a lot, but this has very limited xmax (and has become rather expensive lately). The Audience A3 will probably blow the budget, so will the small Jordan. The classic Visaton FRS8 (used in the "twenty five" which started me on the line array idea, I love the big image that gives) is maybe on the low end of good sonically, if I use that one, I'll probably keep thinking I could have done better :rolleyes: and the round Alpair 6p (sonically my favourite) has this large frame causing too much space between the cones.

I have used the TB 1320 in a small ported box with good results! It is well made and seems pretty rugged, good sensitivity nice cast frame! I use a 1MH coil with 4OHM resister for BSC. I bought these before the price of neo-magnets went up! Alpair CHR 70.3 might be a better alternative, good sound great price and no filter needed. My current favorite!

Larry

I'd go with the tc9, the bamboo is pricy.
the new one with the ferrite magnet is not that expensive. and need less 4"s than a 3"s for the same line length

4 x 4" bamboo (around $30) have about the same area as an 8".
12 per side should be OK then :D I now have 3*2 8" in the fronts, so the area remains the same. I'll see if I can make a nice TL for this.

I have used them, they have a bit of sharpness that you get used to quickly. It is not annoying like shout (1-3khz) or s's and t's (8khz).
I can always correct for that with a small RCL (or miniDSP)

You may want to look into combing and line arrays.
I'm aware of that... but this might be a good occasion to dive into the theory. any suggestions where to start reading?

12 times around $30 amounts to quite a bit of money per channel, AND you'll need to deal with combing artifacts, you'll likely need to cross to a extra tweeter.
Perhaps consider as an alternative one decent 8" FR driver per channel, in a simple BR or closed box if they are suited for that, and add an active subwoofer.

You're going to wind up with serious combing above 8khz or so and the horizontal pattern of 1,10,20......will be the same as just one so the terrible off axis response of a Fullranger driver remains. In other words, a bad idea to use fullrangers as an array. QTS is also very high for the Vifa's so either open baffle or a large a periodic alignment are the only options.

Perhaps consider as an alternative one decent 8" FR driver per channel, in a simple BR or closed box if they are suited for that, and add an active subwoofer.
I have an active sub (it's my HT), and I currently have a multiway with 2*8" woofers as fronts. This is not the way forward for me, because I want the speakers next to the screen and not below it.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/193015-stupid-cheap-line-array-22.html See post 219 where a DIY'er installed 25 of the Vifas in a CNC aluminum enclosure (nice!) He has charts, graphs and listening impressions to give you an idea what they can do.
now that's encouraging :D

.... you'll likely need to cross to a extra tweeter .....
no way :down: if the FR array somehow disappoints me, I'll refurb a nice Van Medervoort electrostat my dad has laying around and cross that at ~800Hz or so.

I am aware that line arrays give combing, but since I have heard the "twenty five" line array with 25 FRS8's I know that this dos not mean they cannot sound great... we all listen to FR drivers, and we know they have serious drawbacks (drooping hign and dips caused by the size of the membrane in off axis response , doppler caused IM distortion, etc) which should degrade overall performance in theory and yet we all enjoy the good qualities of them. So please let me go on the path of this array....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.