Alpair 10 -12

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I am interested in the Mark Audio drivers, but dont have the time to build my own cabinets for them.
I am wondering if it would it be possible to get a 16 - 20 liter cabinet from the likes of Madisound or Parts Express and use that as my cabinet?
I see that plans call for a 12 or 16 liter box - could i go even a little larger? Wahts is optimum size for bass & Dynamics?

Thanks for you assistance
Regards
Mike

Hello, I am interested in the Mark Audio drivers, but dont have the time to build my own cabinets for them.
I am wondering if it would it be possible to get a 16 - 20 liter cabinet from the likes of Madisound or Parts Express and use that as my cabinet?
I see that plans call for a 12 or 16 liter box - could i go even a little larger? What is optimum size for bass & Dynamics?

Thanks for you assistance
Regards
Mike

FWIW, these drivers really shine in enclosures larger or more elaborate than the simple BR or even sealed that can easily be accomplished with stock boxes from the likes of Madisound or Parts Express. I'm currently listening to the Alpair 10.2 in two separate enclosures - the P-10 MarKen10 (approx 14 liters mini-onken style vented) and a proprietary MLTL by Bob Brines - floor standing approx 24cm square /1.2meters tall with plinth base. The MLTL certainly has some advantages in terms of bass extension/weight an dynamics, but the MarKen does some wonderful things imaging-wise - hard to chose either as "optimum" .

Thanks for your reply, is there much od a diffence between the Alpair 10 & 12 (besides size)?
It will be difficult for me to build anything so i was looking to purchase the cabinets.
Would a 20liter BR work?
If you have any other sugestions for cabinets (to purchase) i'd apprciate it.
I want to build a single driver loudspeaker that does dcent bass and dynamics - but with a BR - or any cabinet that will work that i can purchase.
Best regards
Mike

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The A10.2 is happy in 13-20 litre reflex. The A12 in about 13 litre. A12s are kind of hard to source at the moment.

Larger boxes require some sort of horn or TL loading.

If you get the PE boxes get the curved ones, the others need enuff work that one might as well start from scratch. Somewhere i have the start of a spreadsheet with suggested tuning for many of the PE boxes with MarkAudio drivers.

or any cabinet that will work that i can purchase

If i may be so bold as to point these out: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/plan...uch-stuff-almost-giving-away.html#post2757640

dave

The Mar-Ken12T with Alpair12eNC are for sale?
How do the Alpair 12 differ from the 10?
Do they do better bass?
Please have patience im a novice, just want to get that single driver magic - but with adequate bass and dynamics.
Was thinking of getting the 10,2's with the P.E curved 20 litre cabinet = but if these are better..?

The Mar-Ken12T with Alpair12eNC are for sale?
How do the Alpair 12 differ from the 10?
Do they do better bass?
Please have patience im a novice, just want to get that single driver magic - but with adequate bass and dynamics.
Was thinking of getting the 10,2's with the P.E curved 20 litre cabinet = but if these are better..?

Yes, they are for sale. They go about aslow as A10. More dynamics, more efficient, play louder before stressing out.

dave

but as he said in his "garage sale" post, having spent more than a couple of months in situ casa Dlugos, the finish is not guaranteed to be scratch free, so you might want to invest in a scotch brite maroon finishing pad and can of

M102-0335%20for%20Mecom.jpg
or such

As the boxes would have originally top coated with ML Campbell Magnamax 35% lacquer, it'd be best to touched them up only with a Nitrocellulose lacquer.

I have my Alpair 10 (original) in a 21 litre Bob Brines type MLTL. I filled in the port and tried them infinite baffle and liked it - have been using that since.

It really is a nice speaker. Be prepared for some break in - mine improved noticeably even months later. Madisound have these for $110 which is a bit of a no-brainer.

andy

How about this build? Would either of you have any comments?
It seems like a horn, however it has a port in the back.. not sure how it works..

Thanks for your consideration.

MarkTen-TL

Looks like a folded mass loaded Voigt "pipe" to me - to be polite, an interesting choice of cabinet materials

If I'm reading the date correctly on the referenced page, the design is over 4yrs old - and while the laws of physics arguably haven't much since then, this driver model's TS parameters definitely have - which often require revisiting dimensions and vent tuning.

FWIW I've heard the latest incarnation of the 10s - both 10.3 metal and 10P paper - the former in Pensil MLTL, and the latter in a mid-sized BLH. I could easily live with either, but would give the paper a slight edge - to each his own.

Hi Dave,
Can you elaborate more with regard to the tonal difference between alpair 10.3, 12.2p in Pensil boxes and Alpair 7.3 in Frugelhorn ?

thanks

kp93300
Time out, these comparisons are complicated enough without the 7.3 in the thread...how about sticking with the 10.3/Pencil to the 10.3/FHXL http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/markaudio/239793-comparing-three-different-alpairs-2.html#post3577037 to a 12P/Pencil? Or up the ante and compare the 12P/Avebury to 10P/Silbury?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
At this point the SuperPensil12.2p & the Pensil10.3 have stock drivers and the FHxl has treated A10PeN. The latter cleans up. They are all really good.

We are thou still winding up the hours on the new 10s, but if i had to live with something FH3 with A7.3eN would still be my choice. A bit of lose on bass impact, gain in mids/top, the new 10s are closer than before thou.

dave

At this point the SuperPensil12.2p & the Pensil10.3 have stock drivers and the FHxl has treated A10PeN. The latter cleans up. They are all really good.

We are thou still winding up the hours on the new 10s, but if i had to live with something FH3 with A7.3eN would still be my choice. A bit of lose on bass impact, gain in mids/top, the new 10s are closer than before thou.

dave
About what would say is the minimum size listening room for a FHxl, and can you comment on how it behaves wrt horn delay?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.