Alpair 10 -12

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Time out, these comparisons are complicated enough without the 7.3 in the thread...how about sticking with the 10.3/Pencil to the 10.3/FHXL http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/markaudio/239793-comparing-three-different-alpairs-2.html#post3577037 to a 12P/Pencil? Or up the ante and compare the 12P/Avebury to 10P/Silbury?

Well so far we've only played 10Ps in the XLs, so any comparisons we'd make between the 10.3 & Ps would include 2 variables. Neither are we able to afford to build absolutely every design / combination - I doubt there are few folks who can - so a "shoot-out" between the Aves / Sils would likely have to await a DIY festival.

Regarding the question of horn delay, I guess that's not something we're not as sensitive to as others, or yet "trained" to hear. My room at home is a fairly conventional 320ft^2 rectangle, and rather cramped with furniture for any of the rear mouth horns to fully blossom. Dave's space is much larger, with a highly vaulted ceiling - must be at least 4 times the cubic volume, but I can't remember if we've ever actually calculated that. As might be expected, they delivered a more spacious soundstage in the larger room.

I will find another home for this discussion: I would love to upload a picture of my listening room and get some ideas for improving acoustics. I do think horns and/or FullRange have some special room requirements.
I seems that we have a lot of experts looking at this thread.

It's pretty easy to adjust room acoustics by using artificial plants. Not the little ones, I'm talking about 6 - 8 foot tall plastic "trees" that are used for decoration. They do quite nicely and have the advantage of being quite wife friendly. Buy a dozen of them and move them around the room until you get the right placement. Much cheaper than the commercial room treatments.

If I could ask another question, and I'll stop asking 'room' related questions: My room is 16 foot wide and 20 foot deep.
1) how far from the back wall should I place the speakers
2) how far from the side wall
3) how far from the back wall is my ideal listening position.

Do these questions even make sense?
Thanks!

'Suck it and see' is really the only answer. Bald room dimensions generally are nothing like sufficient to make any assessment. Speaker in question, room construction (materials), furnishings including floor coverings, the rest of the system and personal preference all come into it. The only person who can answer these points is ultimately yourself, by trying it.

If I could ask another question, and I'll stop asking 'room' related questions: My room is 16 foot wide and 20 foot deep.
1) how far from the back wall should I place the speakers
2) how far from the side wall
3) how far from the back wall is my ideal listening position.

My listening space is slightly smaller, I listen across the room (the 16' in your case). I also have an extra "L" section which adds to the overall room volume.

1) About a foot out from the wall, measured from the back of the cabs.

2) Speakers are approx. 6' apart, equidistant from the side walls.

3) I sit approx. 8' in front of the speakers.

As Scott says, you will have to experiment to find "your" ideal listening position.

jeff

Jeff, did you ever do a calculation on gross area/volume of the space?

nrg - as Scott so eloquently stated, you'll only know what's right when you've found it - any suggestions or on-line placement calculators should only be considered as starting points. Similar to what Jeff noted in his above reply, unless you have freedom to try something like a diagonal arrangement with a room corner at the apex of an equilateral triangle, I'd generally recommend placement as close to symmetrical with side walls as possible, and experiment with distance from back wall and toe-in.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.