Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd November 2012, 04:35 PM   #201
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio_D View Post
Hello Dave

Could you tell me what the differences are between the Saburo and the Kongo

Thanks

Owen
Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Ypu'll have to ask Scott for detail... with 3 years more experience, feedback from Saburo, and optimized for the currently available FE126En, it is an upgrade.

dave

I guess one could scrutinize over the minutia of differences between the 2 drawings and reverse engineer how those would interplay with the revised T/S parameters of the driver - oops, Scott did that already
Old 25th April 2013, 12:08 PM   #202
diyAudio Member

Apologies if this is in the wrong thread (there might be a completed projects thread for this build) but here are a pair (actually two pairs) that some local (South African) builders tackled this last week.

Sounds great!!!

Click the image to open in full size.
Olson-Nagaoka Horn - in room

Here is a link to more pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/alterna...7633284350629/

As you can see they are still not 'finished'...
Old 25th April 2013, 02:20 PM   #203
diyAudio Member

Wow awesome! Very impressive craftsmanship!

Scott
Old 25th April 2013, 07:17 PM   #204
diyAudio Member

Very nice! I am still looking at building these. What type of ply did you use? In New Zealand, I can obtain meranti which has a similar colour.

One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.
Old 25th April 2013, 07:31 PM   #205
diyAudio Member

I just helped out but they used what the shop termed 'shutter ply'... To me it looked more like what we term 'interior ply'. 18mm 11-ply with a very thin Sapele veneer on both sides...

This was definitely more a 'proof of concept' build so the the ply is not too great and the construction was brad nailed with glue... Cheap as chips. The total cost for the ply for the four cabs was R1200 or US$132.27 or NZ$155.33

Birch ply would of almost been triple that...

If both guys are happy I would not be surprised to see one pair getting done proper with Birch Ply... We are still itching to try a Ron horn (between us we have done a Bass reflex, Fostex cab, a Frugal horn and a Bigger is Better)...

Here were my (initial raw) listening impressions as posted on our local-yokal forum:

Quote:
I had a good listen this morning...

WOW! these cabs really manage to balance the Fostex's out!

I cannot remember the Frugal horns too much now but compared to the bass reflex boxes we had them in they have much less shout and also less sibilance (I am allergic to sibilance - some people don't find it as offensive)... Perhaps a function of the long first 'line' with the 45 degree defuser at the end (less sound reflecting and coming back through the cones)...

They are definitely good for (a solid) 50hz. The bass also has a surprising amount of 'body' (for want of a better word)...

My only minor quibble is that I think I can hear some midrange 'leaking' through the horns but that should be able to be sorted with some more damping...

The big plus is that they have that immediacy to the music that Fostex speakers impart. A good recording feels 'live'... Not sure how that works?

It would be really interesting to get these measured.

Another aspect compared to my memory of the Fostex FE166e's is that they are not as directional. With the FE166e it felt like you needed your head in a vice to get the best imaging... Just a few cm either way and the image disappears... I listened to these (for a while) a little off axis without major dire consequences to the sound...
Old 25th April 2013, 08:05 PM   #206
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply and for posting your listening impressions ��

I did build a proof of concept of these in 15mm MDF (I know, I know) but I was able to obtain 25 full sheets for $50, and a single sheet of 11 layer ply costs $100 each, and to be honest, I enjoyed this design more than any other so far. I have now built 6 different cabinets and once I find one I like most, I will build in ply.

One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.
Old 1st July 2013, 06:56 AM   #207
diyAudio Member

Just completed a set of Kirishima horn as part of my first DIY project. Sounds fabulous with a Voxativ AC1.5 driver. I would characterise the sound as spacious, dynamic and balanced. Great design.

I did try a Lowther PM6C driver but it made my ears bleed with its inherent "shoutiness" so I was desperate for an alternative driver. The Voxativ is the perfect driver as it doesn't seem to mind what sort of cabinet you whack it into...it has prodigious bass for a single driver and has all of the single point speaker advantages and very little of its weaknesses.

If I had to do it again, I would not attempt to use a circular saw to cut all of the pieces. I would get a pro to cut it via CNC machine then I just do the IKEA thing of putting it together.
Old 1st July 2013, 06:58 AM   #208
diyAudio Member

I must commend the designer of a superb design aesthetically and in a musical sense. Now I need to build a bigger set of back loaded horns for my next project...any ideas ?? Can you design a bigger set of speakers ?
Old 1st July 2013, 05:53 PM   #209
diyAudio Member

Thanks. Glad you like them.

Of course. Depends what you want. Give me a shout at my FH or Woden email address & we'll see what can be done.
Old 2nd July 2013, 12:19 AM   #210
diyAudio Member

I used A grade 18mm plywood as it was the only available type in the length I was looking for. All in all it would have cost me $500 of wood.

The plans were excellent. Very clear. I am grateful for such a great design and plans. The profile of the speakers are really attractive. I reckon Scott should design a monster masterpiece similar in concept manifold horn so its still easy to DIY but a monster size version...twice the width and twice the depth.

Hide this!Advertise here!