Spawn Olson/Nagaoka Horns the Next Generation - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd February 2012, 05:52 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Something like that anyway.
Old 2nd February 2012, 08:02 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

The reason I'm thinking 8x4 is that it would be very easy and 8 ft will get under a typical ceiling, I've built a pair of Vulcans and I love them, now I'm thinking could they be just a bit better? Also I have a 1000 sq ft room for them to live in.
Old 2nd February 2012, 08:15 PM   #13
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubtingthomas View Post
The reason I'm thinking 8x4 is that it would be very easy and 8 ft will get under a typical ceiling, I've built a pair of Vulcans and I love them, now I'm thinking could they be just a bit better? Also I have a 1000 sq ft room for them to live in.

well, just siamese twin them, C-37 the boxes, upgrade drivers to Fostex's next ES/R driver that size, or try something really silly....

sooner or later, you just gotta sit back and enjoy the music

I should try that sometime
Old 2nd February 2012, 08:31 PM   #14
stevieg is offline stevieg  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

chrisby, are those cushions for the comfort of those who wish to get right inside the speakers? Is it some sort of health and safety issue? Magnificently mad, or should I say without compromise.

Cheers Steve
Old 2nd February 2012, 08:56 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

It might be obscene but would clear/smoked lexan sides with black lexan innards work?

seeing these transparent drawings makes me wonder.
Old 2nd February 2012, 09:39 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
well, just siamese twin them, C-37 the boxes, upgrade drivers to Fostex's next ES/R driver that size, or try something really silly....

sooner or later, you just gotta sit back and enjoy the music

I should try that sometime
That sounds like an interesting idea,I have bought a pair of fe203en-s, forgive my ignorance but what is C-37?
Old 2nd February 2012, 09:57 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

It's an unremarkable varnish with an enormous markup which is flogged to the gullible as a universal application. Makes everything sound better. Size, MOE values, resonant behaviour etc., make no difference, a coating of this stuff & all your problems are solved.

SY analysed a sample. His findings are here: C37 similar material and here: C37 similar material
Old 2nd February 2012, 10:02 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Could the Vulcans be scaled up Scott? Congratulations on a superb design by the way.
Old 2nd February 2012, 10:19 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubtingthomas View Post
Could the Vulcans be scaled up Scott? Congratulations on a superb design by the way.
Thanks. Glad you're still liking them.

No, scaling cabinets is at best problematical. I would have to do a complete new design from scratch. It's possible, but unless there is significant demand for such a cabinet, which I doubt (I respectfully beg to differ that 8ft would fit under most ceilings; my own for e.g. are exactly 8ft tall, which is typical for a post-Victorian suburban semi in the UK), I probably wouldn't be able to get around to it any time soon. Note too that if a symmetrical configuration is employed, the driver would end up 4ft above the ground, significantly higher than most people's listening position, so it would need to be angled down appropriately. I like the excess of the idea though.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 2nd February 2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 2nd February 2012, 10:26 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

I'm out of touch, I live in a Victorian house, I'll send you an e-mail and you can give me an idea of price or tell me to take a walk I won't take offence, i am getting obsessed though.

Hide this!Advertise here!