diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Full Range (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/)
-   -   Fostex f120a vs fx120 vs fe108ez? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/205722-fostex-f120a-vs-fx120-vs-fe108ez.html)

cross reference 1st February 2012 01:26 AM

Fostex f120a vs fx120 vs fe108ez?

Hello all. I have seen acouple of post on the fostex f120a vs the fx120 but not between these three drivers. My wife wants a smaller driver. So I am about half way there on the f120a drivers right now. Now for almost double the price and alittle more are the f120a drivers worth buying because of the magnet that makes classic sound? I know it goes in a sealed box but that a good thing for me and easyer to build. So now for the other drivers between the fx120 and the fe108ez drivers? I know one is made for a horn box and the other for a ported box. Well I got to hear the fx120 at a audio show afew years back but, it was only for a few minutes and from what I hear and remeber it was very flat and very natural and none bright. The bass was lean and clean and the midrange was nice and the highs I say good. They did not have it turned up very loud so I could not rate them. It was in a front ported box. Well if anyone can give me a run down or some advise that would be helpful to me. Thanks jm

chrisb 1st February 2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natural sound (Post 2886395)
Hello all. I have seen acouple of post on the fostex f120a vs the fx120 but not between these three drivers. My wife wants a smaller driver. So I am about half way there on the f120a drivers right now. Now for almost double the price and alittle more are the f120a drivers worth buying because of the magnet that makes classic sound? I know it goes in a sealed box but that a good thing for me and easyer to build. So now for the other drivers between the fx120 and the fe108ez drivers? I know one is made for a horn box and the other for a ported box. Well I got to hear the fx120 at a audio show afew years back but, it was only for a few minutes and from what I hear and remeber it was very flat and very natural and none bright. The bass was lean and clean and the midrange was nice and the highs I say good. They did not have it turned up very loud so I could not rate them. It was in a front ported box. Well if anyone can give me a run down or some advise that would be helpful to me. Thanks jm

Since the thee special words "my wife want were used within the opening sentences, you should probably consider what type/size of enclosures would be acceptable before chasing after a driver that might not be suitable.

Is the F120A worth the price differential over the FX120? It's been a while since I've heard them, but to be brutally honest - I don't think so.

While it has an enticing midrange, can the FE108EZ deliver the same SPLs and bandwidth extension of either of the 120s, in any type of enclosure? - not likely. There's a reason that Ed Schilling chose the arguably less refined FE126E over the Sigma for his Horn.

Do any of these deliver their maximum performance in simple sealed or Fostex "recommended" enclosures? not in my personal experience.

Another much more affordable Fostex driver that you might want to consider in this weight class is the FF125WK . All 3 of the 5 models in the new WK series I've heard are substantial improvements over their predecessors.

planet10 1st February 2012 07:39 PM

All 3 drivers you mention are old. The new FF125wk has jumped over them.

We consider FX120 & F120A interchangable, but to get any bass you need a vented box.

But the same can be said of FF125wk. I have (or will have soon) a millSize box for these, and the CGR of the larger box* will be a free posted plan.

* see ODougbo and jonparkhurst builds and comments on the rectangular& trapezoidal versions of this box.

dave

Jim Shearer 1st February 2012 08:28 PM

I have built Metronomes with the FE108eSigma and F120a drivers. In my experience, Metronomes have very high WAF. I have also built Planet10’s Fonken Prime with the no longer available FE127e.

I am assuming you are familiar with and accept the basic limitations of small, full range drivers (limited SPL and bass extension/impact).

The FE108eS is a really sweet driver. I found it necessary to use BSC on the Mets, and for some music, I use a sub to fill out the low end.

I bought the F120a to see about the ‘magic’ of Alnico. (In the end, I believe that design and execution trump magnet composition.) The F120a Mets did not need BSC. They play louder and deeper than the FE108eS. For most music I don’t bother with the sub. However, the F120a doesn’t like direct coupled SS amps--the high end dies. With capacitively coupled SS, they sound pretty good, but they don’t reach their full potential. If you want them to really sing, run them with a tube amp. I love their sound enough that I am building a Dynakit ST-35 for them.

I have not heard the FX120, but I suspect I would judge them good enough that I wouldn’t spend the extra money for the F120a if I had it to do again.

The FE127e Fonken Primes are also a winner. I am still amazed at how much bass these stand mount boxes produce--not as much as the F120a Mets, but significantly more than the FE108eS. I usually don’t bother with a sub for music, unless it has deep synth bass.

That said, with the newly available FF125wk in the mix, I probably would try them instead. I think Dave (P-10) may have a Fonken design for the FF125wk in his design queue. However: IMO, putting ‘monitor’ size (stand mount) speakers on book shelves is a bad idea. And if you are looking at putting them on stands, you use the same amount of floor space as with a Met. Personally, I would choose Mets.

Enough of my opinions. As always, YMMV.

Cheers, Jim

cross reference 1st February 2012 08:35 PM

Hay jim is there any pictures you could post so I can see the box you put the f120a drivers? Thanks for all the info and all the advise. I am going to research it alottle more before spending my money. Also how long have you had your f120a drivers and are they as quick as some say they are?Thanks jm

cross reference 1st February 2012 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisb (Post 2887257)
Since the thee special words "my wife want were used within the opening sentences, you should probably consider what type/size of enclosures would be acceptable before chasing after a driver that might not be suitable.

Is the F120A worth the price differential over the FX120? It's been a while since I've heard them, but to be brutally honest - I don't think so.

While it has an enticing midrange, can the FE108EZ deliver the same SPLs and bandwidth extension of either of the 120s, in any type of enclosure? - not likely. There's a reason that Ed Schilling chose the arguably less refined FE126E over the Sigma for his Horn.

Do any of these deliver their maximum performance in simple sealed or Fostex "recommended" enclosures? not in my personal experience.

Another much more affordable Fostex driver that you might want to consider in this weight class is the FF125WK . All 3 of the 5 models in the new WK series I've heard are substantial improvements over their predecessors.

Thank-you for your help. Now ed and changing the drivers it could have been a cost thing as well who knows? I will looking into everything talked about and these drivers. Thanks again jm

cross reference 1st February 2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by planet10 (Post 2887498)
All 3 drivers you mention are old. The new FF125wk has jumped over them.

We consider FX120 & F120A interchangable, but to get any bass you need a vented box.

But the same can be said of FF125wk. I have (or will have soon) a millSize box for these, and the CGR of the larger box* will be a free posted plan.

* see ODougbo and jonparkhurst builds and comments on the rectangular& trapezoidal versions of this box.

dave

Thanks. I thought I read on a old post that you though the treaded fostex f120a and the fostex f200a were the best drivers out there or I could have read it wrong but, that was awhile ago? Dave when are you going to sell treated ff12wks and how much will it be in us dollars? Thanks jm

planet10 1st February 2012 09:03 PM

A lot of water has passed under the bridge since then. FRs are getting better fast, Mark Audio for instance was not a retail speaker manufacture, a complete revision of the Fostex main lines, new Founteks, TBs, more.

I'd even choose EL70eN over any of those.

dave

chrisb 1st February 2012 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natural sound (Post 2887608)
Thanks. I thought I read on a old post that you though the treaded fostex f120a and the fostex f200a were the best drivers out there or I could have read it wrong but, that was awhile ago? Dave when are you going to sell treated ff12wks and how much will it be in us dollars? Thanks jm

We've definitely listened to treated, F120A, but I'm not sure if the F200s that I heard at Bud's a year or so ago were treated or not.

"Best drivers out there"? - might have been Bud himself, and of course any such assessment is subject to change

even bone stock the FF125WK are very very good

vinylkid58 1st February 2012 09:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I still love my FX120 Fonkens.:D Haven't heard the 125WK's yet.

jeff