BVR vs Pensil - pros and cons ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st January 2012, 01:21 AM   #1
Bigun is online now Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default BVR vs Pensil - pros and cons ?

given a fixed enclosure size (narrow baffle, floor-stander) I could see that both a proven Pensil design and a BVR (such as Scott's Derwent) would be viable options.

Is there a reason to choose one over the other ?

p.s. The FH3 is an option but not sure the 'customer' will approve this design as yet.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 1st February 2012, 02:58 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

no takers ?
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 1st February 2012, 05:46 AM   #3
Daveze is offline Daveze  Australia
diyAudio Member

FWIW, I went down the Derwent path...Why? It looked more interesting.

I started the project about Aug/Sept last year and I'm currently struggling with time and inserting the 4" hole into the front panel...so I'm probably a long way away from giving any feedback on whether it sounds any good.
Old 1st February 2012, 09:54 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Different types of presentation, and it depends on the drive unit in question. The cabinet needs to be designed for it.
Old 1st February 2012, 04:46 PM   #5
chrisb is online now chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
Different types of presentation, and it depends on the drive unit in question. The cabinet needs to be designed for it.

and dare I add, the room / application kinda matters too?
Old 1st February 2012, 10:29 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
and dare I add, the room / application kinda matters too?
They will sit either side of a TV. Not intended to be an HT system, but a step up from what the TV regularly provides. Amplifier is a LINN - a stereo that isn't being used since the original speakers were flood damaged.
Old 1st February 2012, 10:42 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
They will sit either side of a TV. Not intended to be an HT system, but a step up from what the TV regularly provides.
Pensil 7's would be a HUGE step up from the TV speakers.

jeff
Old 2nd February 2012, 12:46 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
do I take it then, that this is a subtle difference and that bass, for example, will be perceived more or less as the same from both options if properly designed (around the same driver with the same external cabinet dimensions) ?
Old 2nd February 2012, 06:52 AM   #9
chrisb is online now chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
do I take it then, that this is a subtle difference and that bass, for example, will be perceived more or less as the same from both options if properly designed (around the same driver with the same external cabinet dimensions) ?
Quite possibly not a subtle difference at all - and even with appropriate adjustments, which depending on the drivers could be simple or extensive, the LF extension and articulation would be the areas quite likely not to be more or less the same

It's not clear that the question of "which driver?" has yet been answered, but if 'customer/ WAF' is at all part of the calculus, based on personal experience with my own "customer", I'd bet on the A7.3 /Pensil - even without "helper" woofers, as Jeff says, it'd be a huge step up from any built-in TV speaker I've yet heard.

Last edited by chrisb; 2nd February 2012 at 06:59 AM.
Old 2nd February 2012, 04:24 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Well, if you think the difference may not be subtle I'd value your opinion as to how they might differ in their subjective sound quality in the bass department. I've had this pet theory that for a given box size, bass performance is pretty much the same for different driver loading methods but as I'm quite possibly wrong I'd like to hear from others with more experience.

The driver question - well I am in favour of using EL-70's. I have a pair at home in an Onken style box and like the sound. I like their appearance too. The use of an A7 isn't being considered as I don't see enough benefit from the higher cost. I'd consider using the CHR-70 but prefer paper, unfortunately the CHP-70 doesn't appear to have a suitable frequency response. I share the frustration of others that MA have not continued the qualities of the EL-70 into a current production model and frankly I find it strange that this still isn't on his 'roadmap'.

I don't think it's a good idea to consider the current TV as the standard to beat, I'd rather be aiming quite a bit higher. I have full confidence in the mid range and above for any of these 70mm drivers - it's the bass I worry about and it's very dependent on the box.

WAF is not strictly relevant - the 'customer' is my sister in the UK. It's a stone cottage with flagstone flooring and the ceiling is not that high. There are rugs and chairs but I expect the room to be fairly lively. It is very desirable to make the speaker small, especially the baffle width. If I choose the Pensil I will narrow it a little. I may float the idea of the FH3 - but my worry with this one is that it is sensitive to positioning (as well as having an unconventional appearance).

Hide this!Advertise here!