Home Theater Design Advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I still want to have a good amount of power handling because first of all we sometimes crank it to listen in a different room and also I use it when my mom isn't home, but still what you say is true, my job is quite a bit easier without having to worry as much about LFE stuff.

Despite being seen all the time in the marketplace an MTM centre should not be laid on its side (ir not horizontal)

If that's the case what would be a good arrangement for two woofers for the center?

I think 2 of those el70s would be good for the surrounds but i want something a bit harder for our receiver to blow for the center that will be handling the majority of the systems total power, probably around half not counting the sub

She likes it where the bass is not noticeable but it doesn't sound like its lacking

Last edited:
I would order a pair of the el70s if they were not plastic, although some have said they have good bass.

Not to get off track, but if you are looking for a deal on a subwoofer, it would be hard to find something that works so well, for so little; as a project that was started recently on the subwoofer page.

You can scroll thru the posts quickly, there are plans, sims, graphs and lots of construction pics. A "tall" double box project is ongoing; of course it could be set on the side, and/or could also build as singles.

T-TQWT using $8 sub drivers and 1/2" MDF ($25 at HD).

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/203345-isobaric-less-then-20-a-24.html

I get the impression from your last post that your Mom doesn't like boomy bass. Properly done bass sounds good, even to Grandmothers.

If you did an MT center, or a 2.5 way MTM center laid on its side, you wouldn't be breaking to many rules of thumb. Drivers should really always be stacked vertically when possible. A Fountek FR85 (or whatever that $12 3" full ranger is called) with 2 flanking woofers crossed around 400hz could take mad amounts of power and obey most power response rules. A couple of buyout woofers and that fountek would run you around $30 plus another $50 for a proper crossover. Might be better off spending more on the woofers to save on expensive xo parts needed to correct a cheap woofer. I'm generalizing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.