amp choices - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th January 2012, 06:34 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default amp choices

Hi Fullrangers,

I,m just at the glue-up stage of a pair of FE127 Metronomes (possibly using the last new boxed pair in existance?), and my mind is turning to most appropriate power source for the driver and cabinet combo. The Mets will replace a very successful pair of floorstanding Fonkens, which will now reside in the study/music room, newly created by crow-barring the last of the kids out of the house.

In the DIY spirit, I'm thinking kit or home built. Does anyone have any experiences to throw in - T-Amp, Gainclone, or even a rather lovely Tim de Paravicini (of E.A.R. fame) designed 5 + 5 watt single ended job that I built over ten years ago, and has sat gathering dust since my giant two-way floor standers were banished from the lounge.

Ultimate volume is not at issue, just compatability and smooth sounds.

Thanks for the input, as always.
Old 29th January 2012, 06:39 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I've found SE amps to work well.

dave
Old 29th January 2012, 07:03 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtwickenham View Post
or even a rather lovely Tim de Paravicini (of E.A.R. fame) designed 5 + 5 watt single ended job that I built over ten years ago
EAR 859?

jeff
Old 29th January 2012, 07:15 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default SE Amp

Consider this:

SE KT88 Amplifier for sale

Also available as a complete kit.
Old 29th January 2012, 07:41 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Jeff,
The answer would appear to be yes and no!
It was a design commisioned by HiFi World Magazine under their World Audio Design brand. At the time, the mag published a monthly DIY suppliment,with designs and articles by the good and the great of the audio world, suplemented with tie-in kits and custom-sourced components.
I guess that E.A.R. may have run with it as a fully built amp, at no doubt with a somewhat eye watering price. Now that you have jogged the memory, I remember that it was actually 15 + 15 watts.
Cheers,
Robert
Old 29th January 2012, 11:22 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the update Robert. Could be a nice sounding combo with the FE127's.

jeff
Old 30th January 2012, 12:00 AM   #7
hebrer is offline hebrer  Slovakia
diyAudio Member

Hi, I have a pair of Metronomes with FE127eN, which I used over the years with:
- push-pull EL84 tube amp,
- Decware Zen clone with PSSS Electra Print output transformers,
- Aarjen t-amp (chip T2020), and
- commercial Onkyo receiver.

Over time, I tried also including and excluding pre-amp with EF86.

Here is what I found (YMMV):
- The tweaked Decware Zen clone with EL84 and very high quality Electra Print output transformers and rectifier section delivers very subtle performance on FE127eN Mets - bringing very detailed yet smooth sound. I found that in dedicated listening sessions this amp allows me to listen to fine sound clues in the recordings.
- The push-pull Yarland 34CIII has more power (about 7W per channel). The sound is perhaps just a bit less detailed but I find the dynamics is excellent - for me this is the amp with which I most readily forget about audio system because I am drawn into the music. Also the soundstage is the best of all options mentioned above. This is true without using the pre-amp.

Two more pieces of info: as a source I use an old Rotel CD player with TDA1541 chip and SRPP tube output stage ("lampizator") and I use Clear Day Shotgun silver speaker cables.

If I were starting with FE127 Mets today, I would probably try to find a decent (not necessarily expensive) push-pull tube amp and a good NOS DAC (I am biased in favor of NOS DACs) for most dynamics and "presence". Or perhaps a SE tube amp for more refined and subtle musical expression.
Peter
Old 30th January 2012, 12:15 AM   #8
hebrer is offline hebrer  Slovakia
diyAudio Member

Hi, one more thing: I would much appreciate to hear your comments after some time about how the Mets compare with the Fonkens. I am in the process of building Fonken Primes for FE127eN and am curious what difference to expect from the Mets. Thanks, Peter
Old 4th February 2012, 06:48 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Peter,
I've been away with work, so apologies for the delay.
In answer to your question, I built a pair of floorstanding FE127 fonkens, utilising Dave D's suggestion of reversing the port direction to allow then to be placed further against the wall. To my ears, they delivered everything I was hoping for within the limits of a small floor standing full-ranger.
I am at the final painting stage of the Mets - a wall-matching satin finish, that will hopefully have high WAF. I will let you how how things sound, when I've done some stuffing and have got them hooked up.
For reference my music collection is in the process of being converted to lossless or high bit-rate mp3, for streaming with Airtunes.
Cheers.
Old 4th February 2012, 06:49 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Peter,
p.s. what was your opinion of the chip amp source?
Robert

Hide this!Advertise here!