On a design note

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am part way through building a set of Mar-Ken73 and was wondering a couple of things re the construction.

1. The central brace has numerous holes (about 40%) of the total area. All the images I have seen show these types of braces have holes with square cut edges. Not being totally up to date with speaker design, but being a guitar maker, I wonder why these edges are not rounded over.

2. If rounding may be beneficial (or at least not detrimental - it would look better), would it also be of benefit to round the vent hole which also has square cut edges as well as the baffle that creates this vent.

3. On a different but related topic, this mainly to the administrators, I think this site would benefit from a DIY section that covers newby (myself) questions such as - what glues, why use some types of materials, what connections are best and where to place them and run internal cables/wires, how to attach baffle material, how to seal corners etc etc. The list is endless, but covers basically how to construct a cabinet from start to finish.
Thanks
Jeremy

...On a different but related topic, this mainly to the administrators, I think this site would benefit from a DIY section that covers newby (myself) questions such as - what glues, why use some types of materials, what connections are best and where to place them and run internal cables/wires, how to attach baffle material, how to seal corners etc etc. The list is endless, but covers basically how to construct a cabinet from start to finish.
Thanks
Jeremy

Not to take away from this forum, but the link below will take you the Parts Express forum's Speaker Building Bible. There is a ton of great info on this thread:

The Speaker Building Bible - Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video, and Electronics Customer Discussion Forum From Parts-Express.com

Have fun with your build.
Mike

GM

Joined 2003
1. Cabs that are acoustically small for its intended band-width [BW] are presumed to have a ~uniform particle density, so the square edges are acoustically transparent. Internal damping to quell any 'hollow' sound helps too.

2. A vent's mach speed determines whether or not rounding over is beneficial, so design for < 0.5% and they are strictly cosmetic unless its radius is large enough to cause the vent tuning to rise.

GM

I am part way through building a set of Mar-Ken73 and was wondering a couple of things re the construction.

1. The central brace has numerous holes (about 40%) of the total area. All the images I have seen show these types of braces have holes with square cut edges. Not being totally up to date with speaker design, but being a guitar maker, I wonder why these edges are not rounded over.

2. If rounding may be beneficial (or at least not detrimental - it would look better), would it also be of benefit to round the vent hole which also has square cut edges as well as the baffle that creates this vent.

to be honest, the main reason I radius or chamfer the edges of the holes on my internal braces is to eliminate slivers from the plywood, and as Greg notes, on external edges until you get to larger profiles it's mostly aesthetic.

3. On a different but related topic, this mainly to the administrators, I think this site would benefit from a DIY section that covers newby (myself) questions such as - what glues, why use some types of materials, what connections are best and where to place them and run internal cables/wires, how to attach baffle material, how to seal corners etc etc. The list is endless, but covers basically how to construct a cabinet from start to finish.
Thanks
Jeremy
well there is the construction forum - but I think you're just as likely to find consensus on most of your questions there as on driver / enclosure selection here.

Not to take away from this forum, but the link below will take you the Parts Express forum's Speaker Building Bible. There is a ton of great info on this thread:

The Speaker Building Bible - Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video, and Electronics Customer Discussion Forum From Parts-Express.com

Have fun with your build.
Mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.