Jordan JX92S or Fostex - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th January 2012, 02:44 PM   #1
RAART is offline RAART  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Jordan JX92S or Fostex

I was looking into building nice full range speakers and tend to go with Jordan JX92S.

First I was looking into Fostex range of speakers and I just want to know if someone compared JX92S to some Fostex's and how is they sound comparable.

Found this on the net what inspired me to go with Jordanís:DIY Audio Projects Forum • Jordan JX92S Tower Speaker Build

here is driver specification (probably will get them straight from Sweden - 1st choice):

1st choice: http://www.eadsweden.com/shop/17596/..._plus_v1.0.pdf

2nd choice: http://documents.jordan-usa.com/JX92S.pdf
Old 28th January 2012, 03:28 PM   #2
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I don't know what your asking. the difference in excursion limits
of Fostex's (minimal) and Jordans (decent) renders them suitable
to totally different designs. The Jordan can tolerate a BSC filter.
Fostex's generally need the bottom end acoustically boosting.

Whatever you do, top end will totally disappear off-axis.
IMO FR's make great high value speakers at the budget end,
but when you start chucking money at them for the best FR,
it doesn't work, a FAST makes more sense to me. YMMV.

rgds, sreten.
Old 28th January 2012, 04:04 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Another driver to consider/research

I just built a pair of Tang Band 1808 MLTL's. After having owned Jordan's and several Fostex drivers, so far the Tang Band 1808's are my favorite. They do deep bass very well, which is where most of the other smaller full range drivers fall short. This, while also not having the peaky top end of many of the Fostex drivers and still maintaining an efficiency of 93db.
Just another driver to consider.
Old 28th January 2012, 05:05 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

For Fostex I was looking into Singular design cabinets (hybrid) and for Jordan's like in the link I posted above...

I will look also in MLTL cabinet design too. Thank you for your suggestion.

This will be my first project with full range driver. Usually I was always having regular speakers and still own some (back in Europe at my house) really nice ones (T+A TB140) and Canton GL series speaker (don't remember, but I think GL70). While TB140 had band pass transmission line designed cabinet and I was always impressed with they sound it may that MLTL design win me over...

In terms for equipment I will use to drive full range drivers currently I have ASL MG OTL 32 DT and plan to purchase tube end amp. I still keep my old Luxman L-3 (solid state) amp which I can use too but I prefer to use tube equipment for an full range driver. I was thinking also to pair my ASL with solid state end amp (like Parasound zAmp) but don't know if that will be a good idea. Just a few of my thoughts and by the way a friend will give me his Moscode 600 endamp if I need it... Nice.
Old 28th January 2012, 06:09 PM   #5
hm is offline hm  Europe
diyAudio Member

Default TUBA

Hello,
a best splution for the JX92 would be a TUBA,
measurements, feedback:
tuba
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ls-tuba-jordan Kopie.jpg (72.9 KB, 961 views)
Old 28th January 2012, 07:20 PM   #6
Colin is offline Colin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

If you go for the Jordan JX92S you may also want to consider this design

Tobler-ONE: DIY Jordan JX92S Transmission Line, single driver loudspeaker

It's based on one of GM's MLTL designs for the driver. The triangular cross-section cabinet has a couple of advantages over a square-section tower: It reduces the audibility of reflections from the inside of the cabinet and it places the driver at the recommended toe-in when it is placed against a rear wall.

I've built several cabinets for this driver, including the 31" and 48" MLTLs. The 48" goes down to 35Hz and is a very enjoyable speaker to listen to. It will require some BSC to get it sounding best. The 31" rolls off at 45Hz and is a 'cooler' sound, more technically accurate. It doesn't need BSC but OTOH I've found it more sensitive to stuffing (and I'm not convinced I've got it right yet after living with it for almost a year).

The James Jordan | Evaluation and Renovation of Existing Buildings, Additions, and New Construction. also has variants on the MLTL for the JX92S but I haven't tried these (yet) so don't know how they compare with GM's designs.

Hope that's of some help.

btw, has anyone here has heard the Tuba horn-loaded enclosure - or the German HiFi magazine horn?

hifisound eShop * -* E.J.JORDAN HORN KOMPLETT-BAUSATZ * S
Old 28th January 2012, 08:07 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I did take a look at Tobler-ONE (I like chocolate too!) but where are drawings for inside construction of the TL?
Old 28th January 2012, 08:12 PM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAART View Post
I just want to know if someone compared JX92S to some Fostex
The closest Fostex to the JX92s (i don't think we can call it a Jordan anymore, it seems Ted has revoked EAD's right to use the name) is the FF125wk. Before i sold off my JX92s (2nd set) they were compared to the Fostex. We all chose FF125. Quite different approaches and some may prefer the JX92 (despite being ~2x as expensive)

If one is looking at the JX92 one should also look at the Mark Audio Alpair10.2 -- the original Alpair10 directly evolved from the original Jordan JX92, the 10.2 a dramatic improvement from the original. A10.2 is also less expensive than the JX92s.

dave
Old 29th January 2012, 05:45 PM   #9
GDO is offline GDO  Spain
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
The closest Fostex to the JX92s (i don't think we can call it a Jordan anymore, it seems Ted has revoked EAD's right to use the name)
Right. It's now called E100, "The Orphan of Full Range"...

EAD Webshop - EAD E100
Old 29th January 2012, 06:39 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

While I did not want to confuse people I called it Jordan but if anyone took a look at my first choice in above there is link to EAD E100 HD+ . The regular EAD E100 is still available here however the new improved driver should be coming soon.

Hide this!Advertise here!