Commercial BIB

Status
Not open for further replies.
How so? All I see is more blatant 'bottom feeding' off the DIY community.

Without my prior consent, I consider for profit ventures based on anything I have invested any of my quality time/intellectual property into as outright piracy.

GM

I agree GM. Another example of profit from DIYers efforts, I don't see any original work on the site. It is getting very hard to take.

Martin

Without my prior consent, I consider for profit ventures based on anything I have invested any of my quality time/intellectual property into as outright piracy.

GM

I agree GM. Another example of profit from DIYers efforts, I don't see any original work on the site. It is getting very hard to take.

Martin

Terry certainly made no effort to obscure his inspirations for the BIB as first posted on the Single Driver Website

Single Driver Website

Assuming that current firms have satisfied the licensing requirements for use of your worksheets, and clearly acknowledge / accredit prior art (which doesn't seem to be missing from Kurt's site), what addition measures would be deemed satisfactory?

Believe it or not, this is an issue that some of us in the grey area actually do fret over.

Assuming that current firms have satisfied the licensing requirements for use of your worksheets, and clearly acknowledge / accredit prior art (which doesn't seem to be missing from Kurt's site), what addition measures would be deemed satisfactory?

There seem to be at least two individuals building and selling designs done by Scott with my worksheets without the appropriate license. This appears to be one of the two, the other is down below in the manufacturers section.

I have stopped posting upgrades to the worksheets, essentially stopped posting advice or anwering questions on forums, and have not posted any of my new design and theory documents because of these types of problems. But to be honest, my life has become a lot more relaxing after scaling back my efforts to share so maybe it is all good.

Martin

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
There seem to be at least two individuals building and selling designs done by Scott with my worksheets without the appropriate license. This appears to be one of the two, the other is down below in the manufacturers section.

Martin, AFAIK Kurt has a commercial licence from you, it was one of the conditions to licence the big Alpair 12 horn from Scott.

As such he has complied with all licencing requirements, and his work on BIBs predates GM's generous release of his simplified BIB formulas into the public domain when he published them here.

dave

I have stopped posting upgrades to the worksheets, essentially stopped posting advice or answering questions on forums, and have not posted any of my new design and theory documents because of these types of problems. But to be honest, my life has become a lot more relaxing after scaling back my efforts to share so maybe it is all good.

Martin

It's certainly understandable that constant policing for such infringements is not something that anyone (other than lawyers for Bo$e or Mon$ter) would be interested in. That it has impacted on your desire to share new work is very unfortunate for all of us.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member

Martin, who is the other (send mail, and we can get onto them). Scott & i take seriously that manufactures of anything we do is properly licenced up.

dave

Eh? I was under the impression Kurt had a license for your sheets Martin. Obviously not? Who is the other so I can 'remind' them? People not paying up for your license does not make me a happy camper. I have always stressed that a commercial license for your software is mandatory for any of my designs which have been produced on a commercial basis. I have also gone out of my way to chase up people who I discovered had started producing any of my DIY designs on such a basis (for e.g., that German chap on eBay.de), and even keep an eye out for possible other infringers.

Last edited:
>>> But to be honest, my life has become a lot more relaxing after scaling back my efforts to share...

That's good! I need to find ways to relax too (divorce, business lawsuit, bad knees... it never ends).

I enjoy the two BIBs I've built (the cheaper one more so) and the great H-frames you've shared. Thank you MJK!

I thought MJK wrote the software and required licensing if products using it are commercially sold?

I thought GM wrote the math currently used in the BIB spreadsheet?

I thought Scottmoose mastered the software and understanding of modern back loaded horns and shared many designs?

Terry Cain sold BIBs commercially but he resurrected the idea and brought it to the DIY community. He also sold more than a design, he sold beautiful wood work wrapped around the design and gave us all the opportunity to purchase what he manufactured. His ability to quickly make different designs and evaluate them was very valuable to the DIY community. It’s not that I believe no one should financially benefit from selling BIBs but I do believe the thinking and intellectual property should be protected, recognized and compensated. Aside from TC selling them (along with always giving back to the DIY community) I always considered BIBs off limits to commercial manufacture.

Last edited:
Jeff - note that the first link on your signature line is still broke - until conditions change and the site is again active, perhaps the link should be deleted?

As much as DIYers like to brag about /show off their builds, and as relatively easy as it is to create a flashy commercial looking website, I doubt big profits are being raked in from any of these ventures.

I'm incredibly lucky to still have a day job that affords me the resources to pursue this "hobby", and help put food on the table.

Eh? I was under the impression Kurt had a license for your sheets Martin. Obviously not? Who is the other so I can 'remind' them? People not paying up for your license does not make me a happy camper. I have always stressed that a commercial license for your software is mandatory for any of my designs which have been produced on a commercial basis. I have also gone out of my way to chase up people who I discovered had started producing any of my DIY designs on such a basis (for e.g., that German chap on eBay.de), and even keep an eye out for possible other infringers.

Hi Scott,

I do not find Kurt's or his partner's name on my list of commercial users. Maybe they used a third pary name and e-mail address but I cannot find any unacconted for commercial users on my list.

The German gentleman on e-Bay is in good standing, looks like he is producing a lot of nice work.

I believe you told me Twin Audio is also producing speakers designed by yourself with the MathCad worksheets, if so I never heard from them.

Thanks in advance for any assistance resolving the issues,

Martin

Martin

Hi Martin,
Regarding Quali-Fi (Kurt): Bach
Kurt does his best to play by decent rules, acknowledge other peoples work/input. From what's been said, he's bought your licence. If he hasn't then I understand your frustration, but then its a business matter that's best resolved off this forum.

Dave's (Planet 10) has done much to support your licensing arrangements, as have I (including paying a licence for another business to help settle a dispute between you and the other party).

There's nothing to be gained by attacking people who are making part of their living from audio while they pay you money and/or support your work. You are a "commercial" party along with the rest of us, so some restraint and/or balance when posting is good form. My hope is that licencing arrangements can be well understood as your work should be appreciated.

Mark.

Last edited:
Terry Cain sold BIBs commercially but he resurrected the idea and brought it to the DIY community. He also sold more than a design, he sold beautiful wood work wrapped around the design and gave us all the opportunity to purchase what he manufactured. His ability to quickly make different designs and evaluate them was very valuable to the DIY community. It’s not that I believe no one should financially benefit from selling BIBs but I do believe the thinking and intellectual property should be protected, recognized and compensated. Aside from TC selling them (along with always giving back to the DIY community) I always considered BIBs off limits to commercial manufacture.

How come? That goes contrary to the the whole spirit of TC's approach to the concept. He always said that the concept was not his and had plenty of prior art to it. Why shouldn't anyone, whether commercial or DIY be able to freely work with the ideas?

Whether MJKs sheets has been used is, AFAICS, impossible to prove, unless they are blatant copies of existing designs.
Like it or not, that's the way the cookie crumbles for certain kinds of intellectual property.
If that means that we can't have MJKs sheets that's unfortunate, but probably also for the best for all parties.
If MJK wants recognition and/or more money (which one can't blame him for the work he put in) then so be it. He'll have to find a more easily controlled outlet for his work.

Last edited:
There's nothing to be gained by attacking people... You are a "commercial" party along with the rest of us, so some restraint and/or balance when posting is good form.

Whoa! What planet are we on?! Let's take a breath, everyone!

Martin is certainly not attacking anybody. That is a complete misunderstanding. Martin enjoys helping people solve interesting design problems. Nobody can seriously believe he has any other motivation. Whatever fee simply lets him exert that tiny bit of control over his work, and he has every right to do that. Frankly, if people don't appreciate it, why should he do it? It's depressing that it even has to be said.

And what started this is GM saying that he doesn't appreciate people commercially exploiting his hours (years really) of free contributions to DIY and the BiB. Has he not earned that right? He contributed freely, for DIY, and not for any commercial purpose. It's just good behavior and I'm mystified that it needs to be stated.

MJK and GM, your generosity is tremendously appreciated world-wide and I sincerely hope you're not even reading this thread at this point. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.