Fountek FE85 Bipole - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th January 2012, 03:12 PM   #11
inrank is offline inrank  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

A model of the FE87 -

Click the image to open in full size.

And a Cut-away of the design-

With the width now reduced to 300mm, and the drivers mounted magnet to magnet.
Old 30th January 2012, 11:37 PM   #12
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inrank View Post
My previous ones i designed a few years ago, worked really well in the near-field. (placed a good bit further out into the room)

I think remember this speaker, I think you made it as part of a course you were qualifying from if I remember correctly, I even think I have a copy of this image somewhere. You do some nice work.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 31st January 2012, 07:38 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Yes it was for my Final Degree show project in Transport and Product Design.
The design itself was not the most advanced, but it worked quite well, although I made a mistake of selling the drivers Veravox 5S @ 150Euro/ea for around £150 for the 4 as I was really skint at the time.

It was a good couple of years ago now, well remembered!
Old 31st January 2012, 01:19 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

A little variation -

And on the driver as well.
Old 31st January 2012, 09:47 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Hi Rob,

Very nice designs..! But I think you will get less (very little) high frequency with your design and with FE87 in particular. This is due to the very wide baffle dimension. Because of the baffle dimension you will get a very flat on axis response above the step frequency. But the power response will fall in high frequency (above ~4kHz). That’s why, in these configuration, you have to listen so close (1,5m) to the speaker.
If you want to keep this design, you will have to choose a driver with a rising frequency response above ~4kHz, like Fostex FF85k, Monacor SPH-30X, etc….
For the FE87 I suggest an approach quite the opposite: Very narrow front baffle and a very deep loudspeaker so that the cancelation between front and rear speakers occur below 400Hz (this is important!. try to keep cancelation frequency well bellow the critical frequency of your ears!). This way, the front baffle step will be at a high frequency and you will have a natural on axis rising frequency and a more flat power response. You may have to use a little notch filter at high frequency (tipical ~3kHz) to “adjust” the power response, but the final results are very very good (from my experience).

Cheers,
Esaś
Old 1st February 2012, 07:34 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

It will be used in near-field, around 1m-1.5m from the speaker, and on axis.
One reason I wanted a wide and thin baffle is so that the drivers could be mounted back to back to help with cabinet vibrations/resonances.
Old 2nd February 2012, 06:35 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

The four FE87 have arrived, chunky little blighters!

Esau, I have been thinking about what you have said, and I will do a bit more research before I start then.

Whacked a pair into OB, and sounded very nice indeed (cardboard baffles).
Old 3rd February 2012, 08:55 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Nice idea! I will be following.
Old 3rd February 2012, 11:03 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Hi Rob,

If you tried the FE87 in OB and you like it, then go for it! This configuration works fine in near field listening. I think it is a question of taste. I usually like to listen to music in no specific place of the room. I like the music to “fill” the room, and bipoles can do that very well. For this purpose, I found that narrow baffles works best, although room acoustic and loudspeaker placement may be critical.
Any way I will be following your design!

Esaś
Old 4th February 2012, 09:48 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

I have put them in a new OB, using two drivers each side, and using the bass treble tone controls helps. I can get as much output from these running full-range at the moment.
Sounds really really good with electronic music, not so good with vocals which seem a bit recessed. This could be the cardboard baffles, probably adding quite a lot of resonances.

One thing i have noticed with these drivers, they have to be rear-mounted, the connections wont fit through a cutout that is big enough to get round the large magnet.
Also the connectors need to be manually bent outwards, as they are very close to the magnet and one of them shorted onto it and put the amp into protection mode.

Build quality is very good on these considering they are 10Euro/ea, not quite as nice as the Veravox 3/Omnes Audio BB3.AL but they were a good bit more and quite an old design with a nice cast chassis. Much nicer than the Visaton FR 10 8.

Last edited by inrank; 4th February 2012 at 09:52 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!