assembler not designer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,
New guy here, names Bradley. I'm always looking for a new hobby, and have wanted to build speakers for a few years. I can build cabinets and cut holes, beyond that I'm lost. I'm fine with that as there are many proven designs that I find interesting.
That brings me to my question. I would like to build a pair of C. Needles. I have two W3-315E. This website has a kit description for that driver.

Needle Bausatz im Angebot bei SpectrumAudio-Spezialvertrieb für Breitbandlautsprecher und mehr

I believe this is what I need:

Dayton PMPC-8.2 8.2uF 250V Precision Audio Capacitor 027-242
Jantzen 0.47mH 18 AWG Air Core Inductor 255-228
8.2 Ohm 10W Resistor Wire Wound 5% Tolerance 016-8.2

Is that correct, or should I just go home and close the blinds never to be heard from again?

I will return from work tomorrow with the Madisound BK-12 kit at my door. I also plan to build the Needles, the much vilified Zigmahornet, a two way resembling the Totem Arro (I love simple, slender loudspeakers). Plus I would like to build Curvy Changs and BIBs, but the info on BIBs seems to be nla.

Thank you to everyone or no one (I can take a hint)

Bradley

Hi Bradley,
It looks to me like you have the right parts picked out. Are you familiar with how they need to be laid out for the filter?
I have the Excel Spreadsheet for BiB calculations. If you send me your email address, I'll send you what I have.
Where are you located?
Welcome and have fun!
Mike

HI Mikje,
No Idea how to construct notch filter. :)
24 years of car audio and box building experience. that was easy with crossover points being electronic.
Now I'm 40 and have much different tastes in music and seats (living room vs. drivers seat)
I'll be honest. I have no interest in learning much theory,as I get too involved in hobbies and will spend too much money with software and tools. I would just like to have fun building 5-10 proven designs (maybe more). I realize this is not the true DYI approach. But it will work for me if it works for the members of this forum.

I realize this is not the true DYI approach. But it will work for me if it works for the members of this forum.

DYI?! Is that Do Yourself In?! That sounds like the path I am taking! This hobby will swallow you. I've been involved with electronics since I was 10 (now near 41). I can probably help with the layout of the filter(s) also.

Peace,

Dave

P.S. Welcome to the craziness!

Hi Bradley,
The notch filter would be assembled with the three parts in parallel.

.........................Resistor
.........................|..........|
from amp--------Inductor--------- to speaker
.........................|..........|
........................Capacitor

Hope this helps.
Mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.