2" madness :) hornloading the TB-W2-803SM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all, just wanted to share a little experiment of mine, enjoy :)

So I ordered myself a pair of 2" Tangband "fullrange" speakers thinking that I could make something nice and inconspicuous looking system for my office computer, but that's not exactly what happened.

2inchhorn.JPG

It just so happened that I had a couple of JBL 2386 2" horns collecting dust in the storage room, I realized this was not quite an obvious match, rather the opposite in fact.

2inchplate.JPG

Well, needless to say this unholy union needed some tweaking...

2incheq.JPG

This did the trick, these horns are very fun to listen to, the resolution they provide crossed over at 140Hz to the THAM6 residing under the tv rack is just amazing, although the frequency response is not exactly "ruler flat" :)

2inchstand.JPG

Not scoring very high in the WAF category, but then again, I don't have that problem :)

2inchamps.JPG

They look like good old stadium horns they use at the tracks :)

2inchkitchen.JPG

Not that far off actually, these horns, the JBL 2386's where actually intended for clustering applications in arena type environments, their dispersion pattern being 40x20 (HxV).

2inchpainting.JPG

So they sound nice and clear with great resolution down to approx 300Hz, they are more then loud enough for apartment use, and they cost me a whooping 230sek each :)

Hi DaveCan! Translation:

1. When you're driving around Chicago in your car, which is tricked out with numerous after-market features, slow down so the ladies can appreciate your extravagant lifestyle.

2. Life is short, and the point of life is to experience serial romantic adventures with the ladies. So you must show off, but remember, go slowly to maximize your visibility. You will thus attain a higher social status.

3. Perhaps the people in Houston are on to something, with their regional preference for driving very slowly, to music which is played back at approximately half-speed.

4. I have done this for years, and now that I'm at the pinnacle of my game, I'm a local celebrity. It's a lifestyle, a quest for conquest. But now that I've achieved top rank in this game, it ceases to be meaningful to me.

Oh, lots of questions I see, well, it sure is a strange mix that's for sure, no I have not gotten around to measuring yet, but that's due to the fact that I can't seem to find my old PAA2, you simply have to trust me when I say it sounds rather ok.

I have thought about adding a small enclosure on the back, but I'm afraid it will amplify the lower regions even further, and take away the upper end, but maybe I'm wrong about this, there is only one way to find out right :).

Since about 5 years ago it's Linux all the way, but i must confess to having played around with PC-BSD (UNIX) as well, but Mint is simple to use, nice looking, sounds really good (yes there are differences between different OS), I have had it with MS-virus and apple lock-in payed for problems :)

W2-800sl you say ? well I did'nt exactly have this application in mind when i brought these ones :) on what basis do you think the W2-800sl would be better ?

I'm currently enjoying music on a "decent" sound level, with ok quality, hard to think it's just two 2" and one 6,5" driver that provides the sound :) so in that respect it's a rather uniqe little system I would say, two 2" FLH's and one 6,5"TH, talk about "less is more" :)

Thanks for posting your W2 horn application. Often times a most satisfying result is unplanned. I've been playing around with the W2-800sl and found that it is pretty darn smooth sounding with pretty darn good dispersion for a 2". Front horn loading is a great idea if you can afford the form factor/WAF. And since it is already a 2" there are a lot of possibilities. Perhaps, the 800sl would work well because it is an inverted metal cone which happens to be the same configuration of a compression driver when loaded into a horn, but has a bit of x-max and a lower fs. On the other hand the 803sm appears to be able to go a bit lower and louder. However, the bottom line is that you are getting really good sound. Keep us posted with any updates to your system.

I just looked up the 803sm and on second thought, because of the phase plug it should have the better last octave or so. I've been reading up on some waveguide experiments and the ring radiators with phase plugs seem to have the better top end. Something about the phase plug affecting the reflections in the throat in a way that aids (mitigates the cancellation?) the top end.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.