2" madness :) hornloading the TB-W2-803SM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just stumbled across this: Funktion-One | Products | Resolution 1.5

..Uses an 18" woofer in a compact vented enclosure, with a 5" cone in a front horn, instead of a compression driver.

Don't know about anyone else, but I find a 5" cone driver being loaded in a front horn for 500Hz-15KHz at 112dB/watt with 90 degree horizontal dispersion very intriguing..

DSCF55581.JPG

Don't know about anyone else, but I find a 5" cone driver being loaded in a front horn for 500Hz-15KHz at 112dB/watt with 90 degree horizontal dispersion very intriguing..

Also check out the German hifi brand Avant Garde, they also use a 5" widerange driver in their big spherical front horns. If such big horns were cheap to buy, I would be experimenting. The excellent Avant Garde Uno which I heard half a year ago had only one disadvantage (next to WAF) which stopped me from buying it: the price...

Just came up with a inverted baffelstep compensation circuit which makes the eq'ing obsolete, the result is actually really pleasing an they now reside as my main speakers together with the THAM10 crossed over at 240Hz.

the RC circuit consits of a 8,2uF cpacitor paralelled with a 10 Ohm resistor connected in series on the plus lead, so nothing complicated, initially i tried a 6,8uF but it made the sound to dull and lifeless.

Another thought, I know there's been some time passing since my last contribution to this thread, but how about using one of them new shiny 2" drivers from faital instead, the HF204 och 206 for instance ?

The reson for this thought is that even if the result at present is rather nice, especially with the RC-circuit in place, using a propper 2" driver (as sugested above) wich reaches 500Hz, and using a simillar RC circuit to compensat for eventual horn honkyness, would that not provide a nice and power solution for the 500-18k range ?

Another thought, I know there's been some time passing since my last contribution to this thread, but how about using one of them new shiny 2" drivers from faital instead, the HF204 och 206 for instance ?

The reson for this thought is that even if the result at present is rather nice, especially with the RC-circuit in place, using a propper 2" driver (as sugested above) wich reaches 500Hz, and using a simillar RC circuit to compensat for eventual horn honkyness, would that not provide a nice and power solution for the 500-18k range ?
Brilliant use of supplys Martinsson, I've thought about a setup like that more than once. Glad to hear that it actually works. :) I've been having thoughts about a 2" compression driver on a large flat baffle too, Kind of like a flattened out horn.

Hello, not bad that you are still listening to the same setup for over a year and a half(!). As far as your suggestion goes, I don't know if it is worth it though, as you still get a full octave lower with the TB, which gets you very close to that "full range" magic. Otherwise it will just be another horn two-way. And those compression drivers sound a bit strained going below 600Hz or so.

The next logical step would be to get a bigger horn and maybe use a 3" and see if you can cross even lower to cover more of the "full range" driver pass band.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
You will need one with a 2 in voicecoil to work as a horn for a 2 in driver. Might be hard to find 7 in driver with 2 in VC. I have suspected that the cone on a some 3 in fullrange drivers act as a nice waveguide for the small "tweeter dome" dust cap and that is why some have very good polar directivity measurements - almost like a dome tweeter fitted with a waveguide. In this case, the cone is still functional simultaneously. The same thing happens on PA coax drivers where cone acts as secondary horn got CD tweeter.

Pico: my interest was piqued bu spotting some large round OS guides for CD units, but never found any as good for 2" throat. With the low qts of the W2-800 i figured it would work quite nicely in a large front loaded horn, if i can load the driver low enough. A LARGE woofer could work I guess, but finding one with a curved cone AND >2" voice coil may be difficult.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Pico: my interest was piqued bu spotting some large round OS guides for CD units, but never found any as good for 2" throat. With the low qts of the W2-800 i figured it would work quite nicely in a large front loaded horn, if i can load the driver low enough. A LARGE woofer could work I guess, but finding one with a curved cone AND >2" voice coil may be difficult.

You might try making one out of FC - kind of fun actually. Here is one for a 3.5 in driver:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/223313-foam-core-board-speaker-enclosures-187.html#post3541667

356824d1372312855-foam-core-board-speaker-enclosures-tractrix-fc-1.jpg

386937d1386731872-foam-core-board-speaker-enclosures-cochlear-5.png

Last edited:
oh, yes ! paper mache on the rear, 2 or 3 layers of hard paper is enough.
For the front, primer and sanding.
The accomodation of the speaker should require a solid base; I used a basket of a 7" for a 10" WG, which is really a 7"...that's why. Indeed, speaker's diameter is expressed
with basket diameter.

Last edited:
Some images from their latest adventure, for their size, and most definitely with regards to their drivers, they do preform extremely well, far beyond the expectations of all who participated, myself included :)

ssundlineup.jpg

A view from the lisening position, belive it or not, but you hade to fader down to speak, they are not ment for this distance which became aparent as the top end was lacking at times, but still, very impressive.

ssundmixer.jpg

I'll see if I can get some RTA measurements posted on here to give you an idea of their linearity, at the moment they are situated on top of a pair of pdn.2450 in my livingroom crossed over at 350Hz and doing a hell of job, hornloading is the way to salvation.

By the way, an important thing to mention, if you try this you will need to know the components involved.

For the filter circuit i use a 8,2uF capacitor paralelled with two serial connected 4,7Ohm resistors (it's what I had at the time)., so in simpler terms its a 8,2uF capacitor paralelled with a 9,4Ohm resistor.

The horn used is a JBL2386, and the driver is tangband W2-803SM (I bet these components does not not get written into one sentence alot).

This unholy union makes for an intresting experience in several respects, the combination described shwos a 315-18k range within +/- 4db acc. a PAA2 RTA in 4pi @ 1m (pictures will come).

The SQ is really nice, slight splashing in the 10k and up range but nothing major, stereo imaging is superb and the dynamic is there for sure, it sounds alot better then the graphs would have you belive.

Regarding SPL capacity it continues to impress me, i run them of a LAB IP450 at very low power levels (considering the driver used) and yet it has met all my requirements for home use and I have no doubt this combo will even manage a larger rooms.

Considering these components where never meant to cross paths, ever, at all, it is as previously stated an unholy union of parts, and to come up with this idea one would have to be deeply disturbed, well guilty, but it sure has been fun and still is, I'm sure there are better solutions out there, in fact i know there are, but not as crazy perhaps, borderline insulting to be hoest, and that is a big pay off as well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.