extend current usage of FH3(A7.3) to include HT - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd January 2012, 05:34 AM   #1
jjl is offline jjl  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default extend current usage of FH3(A7.3) to include HT

I am currently building a set of FH3 with Alpair 7.3 and am considering expanding them to use as a pair of fronts for a HT system.
My questions are:
What would you recommend for the center (driver and cabinet)?
What would you recommend for the rears (driver and cabinet)?
What would you recommend for the woofer or woofers?

I would also like to use two different amplifiers. One is my old Luxman for just using the FH3 on their own, and an Onkyo receiver (7.1) for the HT setup. Is there an easy way (that is acceptable) to be able to wire this so that I do not have to switch cables when I want to use the speakers differently.

Thanks
Jeremy
Old 23rd January 2012, 06:29 AM   #2
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl View Post
I am currently building a set of FH3 with Alpair 7.3 and am considering expanding them to use as a pair of fronts for a HT system.
My questions are:
What would you recommend for the center (driver and cabinet)?
What would you recommend for the rears (driver and cabinet)?
What would you recommend for the woofer or woofers?

I would also like to use two different amplifiers. One is my old Luxman for just using the FH3 on their own, and an Onkyo receiver (7.1) for the HT setup. Is there an easy way (that is acceptable) to be able to wire this so that I do not have to switch cables when I want to use the speakers differently.

Thanks
Jeremy

As the center channel of a HT system is responsible for 60% of the soundtrack, if you're going to have one at all, it's certainly not the place to compromise. A very good 5 or 7.1 surround system can be implemented with even moderate sized FR drivers such as the 7.3, which can work in fairly small vented boxes with higher F3 or F10 than would be considered "full range" without some bass assistance. This is where .1 channel does its job.

The front height and rear surrounds can be smaller drivers than the main front row 3. In rooms small enough that Alpair 7.3 will provide satisfactory performance for the mains & center, the Alpair6.2M or CHR70.3 would be a good match for the surrounds.

For woofers, consider multiple enclosures with of 6-8,( there are commercial self-powered units available for less than $100 each to as much as you wanna spend) or DIY with woofers (not "sub" drivers) such as Peerless, Vifa, Silver Flute, TangBand, Dayton, or numerous others.

As for safe and convenient switching a single pair of any speaker between the music only and HT rig - I don't think that's all that practical. You've probably had a lot of listening experience to the Luxman, with speakers other than the FH3/7.3, and it might well "sound better" than the Onkyo in the 2 channel bypass mode (or maybe not), but if your home is only able to accommodate a single audio system, I suggest you surrender to using the Onkyo for main control/ signal processing/ amplification, and use the Luxman to drive DIY woofers. It's very easy to adapt to the convenience.
Old 24th January 2012, 04:11 AM   #3
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Default Center spaker position

Related to HT, but slightly OT.

I have attached 2 pictures in this post - one is Skeeter99's setup with Super Pensil 12 fronts and accompanied by a recently built center speaker.

All 3 front drivers are at a very similar height here.

The other pciture is that of Graham's setup with the center positioned at near the floor, and IIRC slightly upward tilted.

I am guessing all 3 drivers at similar height is ideal.

Would it be possible to have a downward tilted center on top of the TV also? I am asking because not all TV consoles have the space to install a largish sized center speaker that can result from using any one of the larger Alpairs like 10.2 or 12.

Thanks,
Zia
Old 24th January 2012, 04:43 AM   #4
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Default Missing attachments :D

Sorry, realised later that I had forgot the pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CRW_1275_RJ%20-%20small.jpg (459.5 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg Room1.jpg (121.1 KB, 98 views)
Old 24th January 2012, 04:53 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

If I am using the FH3 with A7.3 drivers and use the same driver for the center, what cabinet would you recommend. I have been looking at the Fonkens (and just get confused with the naming and sizes).
I have also looked at the A6M and A6P drivers for the rears. Are these the same as the Woofer Number 6 (again confusion with nomenclature). If they are the same, which cabinet will be best suited for them.
I am using a projector not a TV and the image comes down lower than the top of the FH3s will be when finished so I will have to make the center cabinet point upwards to some degree.
Thank you all for your suggestions and for being tolerant of my newness to what is now consuming a large part of my time. This makes guitar making simple by comparison.
Jeremy
Old 24th January 2012, 05:01 AM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Does the Onkyo have pre-outs for the main channels?

dabe
Old 24th January 2012, 05:08 AM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
If I am using the FH3 with A7.3 drivers and use the same driver for the center, what cabinet would you recommend.
There is an A7 miniOnken centre (and an A7.3 too). Chris has one of those.

Quote:
I have been looking at the Fonkens (and just get confused with the naming and sizes).
fonken-style box nomenclature... what is with those names?

dave
Old 24th January 2012, 05:13 AM   #8
arny1 is offline arny1  Australia
diyAudio Member

<and just get confused with the naming and sizes>
Don't worry, you get used to it after awhile. Sort of

<to what is now consuming a large part of my time>
This is bound to get worse however. Perhaps this forum needs a confessional.
Old 24th January 2012, 06:50 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Does the Onkyo have pre-outs for the main channels?

dabe
The Onkyo has pre-outs for the woofer only, not the other channels.
Old 24th January 2012, 07:20 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
There is an A7 miniOnken centre (and an A7.3 too). Chris has one of those.
dave

I have looked at the planet10 site for the A7 miniOnken center and a 7.3 and I cannot find the plans anywhere. Please do not take this the wrong way, but I find the Planet10 site difficult to follow, mainly because I am not in-sinc with the naming system and abbreviations used.
I would find it a lot easier if the images on your site had captions. Eventually I will not need them, but currently I am drowning trying to associate unfamiliar names with images.

Quote:
Thanks for the link, it has stirred the muddy waters. Never fear, time will allow it to settle and all will become clear.

In the meantime, thank you for your assistance and time.

Jeremy

Hide this!Advertise here!