extend current usage of FH3(A7.3) to include HT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am currently building a set of FH3 with Alpair 7.3 and am considering expanding them to use as a pair of fronts for a HT system.
My questions are:
What would you recommend for the center (driver and cabinet)?
What would you recommend for the rears (driver and cabinet)?
What would you recommend for the woofer or woofers?

I would also like to use two different amplifiers. One is my old Luxman for just using the FH3 on their own, and an Onkyo receiver (7.1) for the HT setup. Is there an easy way (that is acceptable) to be able to wire this so that I do not have to switch cables when I want to use the speakers differently.

Thanks
Jeremy

I am currently building a set of FH3 with Alpair 7.3 and am considering expanding them to use as a pair of fronts for a HT system.
My questions are:
What would you recommend for the center (driver and cabinet)?
What would you recommend for the rears (driver and cabinet)?
What would you recommend for the woofer or woofers?

I would also like to use two different amplifiers. One is my old Luxman for just using the FH3 on their own, and an Onkyo receiver (7.1) for the HT setup. Is there an easy way (that is acceptable) to be able to wire this so that I do not have to switch cables when I want to use the speakers differently.

Thanks
Jeremy

As the center channel of a HT system is responsible for 60% of the soundtrack, if you're going to have one at all, it's certainly not the place to compromise. A very good 5 or 7.1 surround system can be implemented with even moderate sized FR drivers such as the 7.3, which can work in fairly small vented boxes with higher F3 or F10 than would be considered "full range" without some bass assistance. This is where .1 channel does its job.

The front height and rear surrounds can be smaller drivers than the main front row 3. In rooms small enough that Alpair 7.3 will provide satisfactory performance for the mains & center, the Alpair6.2M or CHR70.3 would be a good match for the surrounds.

For woofers, consider multiple enclosures with of 6-8,( there are commercial self-powered units available for less than $100 each to as much as you wanna spend) or DIY with woofers (not "sub" drivers) such as Peerless, Vifa, Silver Flute, TangBand, Dayton, or numerous others.

As for safe and convenient switching a single pair of any speaker between the music only and HT rig - I don't think that's all that practical. You've probably had a lot of listening experience to the Luxman, with speakers other than the FH3/7.3, and it might well "sound better" than the Onkyo in the 2 channel bypass mode (or maybe not), but if your home is only able to accommodate a single audio system, I suggest you surrender to using the Onkyo for main control/ signal processing/ amplification, and use the Luxman to drive DIY woofers. It's very easy to adapt to the convenience.

Center spaker position

Related to HT, but slightly OT. :D

I have attached 2 pictures in this post - one is Skeeter99's setup with Super Pensil 12 fronts and accompanied by a recently built center speaker.

All 3 front drivers are at a very similar height here.

The other pciture is that of Graham's setup with the center positioned at near the floor, and IIRC slightly upward tilted.

I am guessing all 3 drivers at similar height is ideal.

Would it be possible to have a downward tilted center on top of the TV also? I am asking because not all TV consoles have the space to install a largish sized center speaker that can result from using any one of the larger Alpairs like 10.2 or 12.

Thanks,
Zia

Missing attachments :D

Sorry, realised later that I had forgot the pics.

Attachments

• CRW_1275_RJ%20-%20small.jpg
    CRW_1275_RJ%20-%20small.jpg
    459.5 KB · Views: 133
  • Room1.jpg
    Room1.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 130
If I am using the FH3 with A7.3 drivers and use the same driver for the center, what cabinet would you recommend. I have been looking at the Fonkens (and just get confused with the naming and sizes).
I have also looked at the A6M and A6P drivers for the rears. Are these the same as the Woofer Number 6 (again confusion with nomenclature). If they are the same, which cabinet will be best suited for them.
I am using a projector not a TV and the image comes down lower than the top of the FH3s will be when finished so I will have to make the center cabinet point upwards to some degree.
Thank you all for your suggestions and for being tolerant of my newness to what is now consuming a large part of my time. This makes guitar making simple by comparison.
Jeremy

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member

Does the Onkyo have pre-outs for the main channels?

dabe

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
There is an A7 miniOnken centre (and an A7.3 too). Chris has one of those.
dave

I have looked at the planet10 site for the A7 miniOnken center and a 7.3 and I cannot find the plans anywhere. Please do not take this the wrong way, but I find the Planet10 site difficult to follow, mainly because I am not in-sinc with the naming system and abbreviations used.
I would find it a lot easier if the images on your site had captions. Eventually I will not need them, but currently I am drowning trying to associate unfamiliar names with images.

Thanks for the link, it has stirred the muddy waters. Never fear, time will allow it to settle and all will become clear.

In the meantime, thank you for your assistance and time.

Jeremy

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I have looked at the planet10 site for the A7 miniOnken center and a 7.3 and I cannot find the plans anywhere.

The plans are part of a paid planset so you won't. I am considering putting a centre out for free to go along with the CGRs.

Please do not take this the wrong way, but I find the Planet10 site difficult to follow, mainly because I am not in-sinc with the naming system and abbreviations used.

The site is woefully in need of a major update, but like the shoemaker...

dave

. Please do not take this the wrong way, but I find the Planet10 site difficult to follow, mainly because I am not in-sinc with the naming system and abbreviations used.
I would find it a lot easier if the images on your site had captions. Eventually I will not need them, but currently I am drowning trying to associate unfamiliar names with images.

Jeremy

Jeremy - as Dave noted in above post, somethings these things grow like weeds and after over 10yrs are much harder to cultivate than to germinate.

don't plan on controlling blackberry, morning-glory, or bamboo - just surrender to the inevitable

Last edited:
Related to HT, but slightly OT. :D

I have attached 2 pictures in this post - one is Skeeter99's setup with Super Pensil 12 fronts and accompanied by a recently built center speaker.

All 3 front drivers are at a very similar height here.

The other pciture is that of Graham's setup with the center positioned at near the floor, and IIRC slightly upward tilted.

I am guessing all 3 drivers at similar height is ideal.

Would it be possible to have a downward tilted center on top of the TV also? I am asking because not all TV consoles have the space to install a largish sized center speaker that can result from using any one of the larger Alpairs like 10.2 or 12.

Thanks,
Zia

As Zia pointed out, I did my front 3 with A12's and love the result. If you're doing 7.3's then do 7.3's for all of your front 3 so you get a sonic match. With a little bit of stuffing adjustment I was able to get an almost perfect front soundstage as far as uniformity of sound. Panning is all but completely seamless and the center is one of Planet10's designs. I would go with what Dave recommends for Center Channel use with the FH3's (as I have never heard them myself) and call it good. Use 7.3's as surrounds if you can afford it or go with what Chris said, the 6's or CHR-70's. You'll get a good "family" sound out of them all.

Regarding the processor, without preamp outputs on the Onkyo for the fronts you're either going to have to switch cables out when doing 2-channel or run the Onkyo in Pure Direct mode when doing 2-channel listening. I do that with my Onkyo 805 and SuperPensils and it works great. Is it the best sound possible? Nope but like you I'm currently stuck with 1 system for both uses.

Hope this helps!

Scott

As Zia pointed out, I did my front 3 with A12's and love the result. If you're doing 7.3's then do 7.3's for all of your front 3 so you get a sonic match. With a little bit of stuffing adjustment I was able to get an almost perfect front soundstage as far as uniformity of sound. Panning is all but completely seamless and the center is one of Planet10's designs. I would go with what Dave recommends for Center Channel use with the FH3's (as I have never heard them myself) and call it good. Use 7.3's as surrounds if you can afford it or go with what Chris said, the 6's or CHR-70's. You'll get a good "family" sound out of them all.

Regarding the processor, without preamp outputs on the Onkyo for the fronts you're either going to have to switch cables out when doing 2-channel or run the Onkyo in Pure Direct mode when doing 2-channel listening. I do that with my Onkyo 805 and SuperPensils and it works great. Is it the best sound possible? Nope but like you I'm currently stuck with 1 system for both uses.

Hope this helps!

Scott

Scott - as I'm lucky enough to have a separate music only system, I've never taken the time to explore the Denon's "Direct" mode - which is described as "bypassing the tone circuitry".

With your Onkyo, does the Pure Direct drop all surround and bass management settings? If that's the general case for this function on all HT receivers, users of smaller FR drivers such as the 7.3, CHR/CHP70, Fostex, etc as mains might want to proceed with caution when playing at moderate to higher volume levels that would be more likely to reach excursion limits than when in the surround mode. From time to time I use the 5-channel stereo on the Denon, and the overall volume is much higher than in Dolby PLII mode, so I tend to turn it down a bit.

Scott - as I'm lucky enough to have a separate music only system, I've never taken the time to explore the Denon's "Direct" mode - which is described as "bypassing the tone circuitry".

With your Onkyo, does the Pure Direct drop all surround and bass management settings? If that's the general case for this function on all HT receivers, users of smaller FR drivers such as the 7.3, CHR/CHP70, Fostex, etc as mains might want to proceed with caution when playing at moderate to higher volume levels that would be more likely to reach excursion limits than when in the surround mode. From time to time I use the 5-channel stereo on the Denon, and the overall volume is much higher than in Dolby PLII mode, so I tend to turn it down a bit.

Chris,

Yes very lucky to have multiple systems. I have for a long time but since I relocated I've had to downsize until I buy a new house.

My Onkyo is the same as Denon's "direct" mode. I've had both and they perform the same function of bypassing all processing and bass management. If I want to engage bass management I only need to put it in "stereo" mode and all the EQ setting and bass management are performed. If I want to listen to really bass heavy music I'll do that to relieve the A12's of the lows and send them to my dual 15's :D It is extremely nice to have such easy to use flexibility so for serious listening it can be pure and for parties/etc it can be more "lively". I definitely agree caution should be used when using the "direct" or "pure direct" or similar functions as all bass management will be eliminated.

Scott

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.