Audio Nirvana Alnicos? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd January 2012, 05:28 AM   #1
coverto is offline coverto  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Audio Nirvana Alnicos?

Hi All,

Long-time lurker, first-time poster. Thinking of taking the plunge on a pair of the 10-inch Audio Nirvana Alnico drivers. Was curious, broadly, whether anyone here has had experience with the AN Alnicos - I've seen the question asked here before, without a lot of answers, hoping that may have changed since...

Also looking for thinking/opinions/experience on whether the AN10 Alnicos would mate well with the 2.8 Mk. II enclosures - hoping it wouldn't be too tight of a squeeze. Was thinking of getting them in Baltic Birch, double-ported. I'm in a pretty small apartment with thin floors and a downstairs neighbor with sensitive ears, and am wary of putting out too much bass...

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Old 23rd January 2012, 11:23 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coverto View Post
Hi All,

Long-time lurker, first-time poster. Thinking of taking the plunge on a pair of the 10-inch Audio Nirvana Alnico drivers. Was curious, broadly, whether anyone here has had experience with the AN Alnicos - I've seen the question asked here before, without a lot of answers, hoping that may have changed since...

Also looking for thinking/opinions/experience on whether the AN10 Alnicos would mate well with the 2.8 Mk. II enclosures - hoping it wouldn't be too tight of a squeeze. Was thinking of getting them in Baltic Birch, double-ported. I'm in a pretty small apartment with thin floors and a downstairs neighbor with sensitive ears, and am wary of putting out too much bass...

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Hi,
I never listen any Nirvana, but after reading all the Nirvana datasheets, my personal preference is the Alnico 12inches, cause it had more cone area and more SPL than the Alnico10 inches, that is usefull to a small tube amp, and more other reasons, etc

For the Nirvanas 10 and 12inches, I prefer the 5.6 box, cause more internal size=more Bass and=less level on the treble.
Maybe you could take a look at this old thread about enclouseres for FR:

How to Treat Passively Peaky FullRange Drivers

I would love read your impressions, about these Nirvanas, so you would send me a PM at the time, if possible, Thanks.
Good Luck

Last edited by FullRangeMan; 23rd January 2012 at 11:48 PM.
Old 24th January 2012, 04:30 AM   #3
coverto is offline coverto  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi FullRangeMan - thanks for the response. It's interesting - I've actually been told that it's the 10-inch and 15-inch versions of the AN Alnicos that are the best. The 10-inch is better, I've heard, because it has the same size magnet as the 12-inch, allowing for better overall control of a smaller cone. The 15-inch, on the other hand, delivers a crazy amount of scope and weight to the presentation, but I think that's going to be too much for my Brooklyn apartment.

So I think the 5.6 cabinets would be too much for me - in terms of the space they'd take up physically, as well as the bass output. In fact, controlling the bass output is actually more of a priority, I think, than boosting it. So I'm hoping there's somebody out there who could give a sense of how this 10-inch AN driver in this 2.8 Mk. II enclosure would likely fare in a room that's basically 11x20....
Old 24th January 2012, 07:53 AM   #4
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

In theory, even the 13.6 isn't large enough to allow this driver to 'breathe' due to its relatively high Vas and Qts, so even a sealed up 2.8 is too small without significant damping, yielding an F3, Fb up around 300 Hz.

Venting the 2.8 to a very low Fb [~20-25 Hz] and then stuffing it to create a ~aperiodic alignment will work in theory to get F3 down to ~60 Hz with room gain adding a bit more extension, but this much damping may 'suck the life out' of the mids too much. Only one way to know for sure though.

GM
Old 25th January 2012, 12:20 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coverto View Post
Hi FullRangeMan - thanks for the response. It's interesting - I've actually been told that it's the 10-inch and 15-inch versions of the AN Alnicos that are the best. The 10-inch is better, I've heard, because it has the same size magnet as the 12-inch, allowing for better overall control of a smaller cone.
Yes, this is true, the 10inches had a smaller and lighter cone, but general SPL is a bit lower than the 12inches. The choice is a very personal issue, or if one use a powerfull amp, the 10Alnico could be a better choise, I feel.

Quote:
The 15-inch, on the other hand, delivers a crazy amount of scope and weight to the presentation, but I think that's going to be too much for my Brooklyn apartment.

If you like light bass and use an around 100W SolidState amp, you would consider the 15Alnico in a easy to made OB panel, as the QTS=0,9 and the soundstage will be real 3D, as there is no box, the OB panel is small deep, just a bit wide.
The 15Alnico is great to Rock and Jazz music, I cant imagine a good sax tenor solo on it.

IF you know more info about the 12 & 15Alnicos, please let me know.
Best Regards
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 25th January 2012, 07:00 PM   #6
kevinr is offline kevinr  United States
diyAudio Member

I have the CF 12's in 2.8 cabinets and they work, but the 8 is a better fit for that size. I'm going to build some larger cabs for my 12's , about 120 liters maybe as the living room is not big enough for 160 liters
Old 25th January 2012, 10:36 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinr View Post
I have the CF 12's in 2.8 cabinets and they work, but the 8 is a better fit for that size. I'm going to build some larger cabs for my 12's , about 120 liters maybe as the living room is not big enough for 160 liters
Hello,
Please, send a PM with your impressions about the 12CF is possible.
Thanks
Old 26th January 2012, 12:13 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Not alnicos, but the response on the 10" is all over the place.

Google Translate

Having unheard any but based on posts, I'd recommend the cast 12" with Mr cua (spelling) zobel, shelf, and notch ckt at 2.5khz. There is even a review, but most people find the raw response tough to listen to, especially on rock music.
http://www.commonsenseaudio.com/affordableaudio12.pdf

Otherwise the 15" looks nice but needs a big box or open baffle.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=229312

I'm thinking real closely between the 12" and 15", but I have a box to put the 15 in. I'd read that one had upgraded from the 15" to the alnico 15"and was happy.

Otherwise I think people also like the 8" alnico. Others prefer the 8" (no alnico cast?) to the fe206e, but the climbing response would be a deal breaker for me.

Norman

Last edited by norman bates; 26th January 2012 at 12:16 AM.
Old 26th January 2012, 02:30 PM   #9
kevinr is offline kevinr  United States
diyAudio Member

I like the sound of my AN CF 12's out of the box but Michael Chua's testing posted here and component recomendations are well worth reading at that post on this forum.Thank you Michael.
I really like what the zobel brings to the speaker performance and the contour circuit which smooths out the upper mid response nicely . I tried the notch circuit to tame the 2.5 K spike but it sucked enough life out of the driver to be a detriment . More noticeable on vinyl playback than CD for some reason. I use an ART 31 band stereo EQ to gently notch out the midrange spikes that Mr. Chua points out . Plus a slight bass boost that probably wouldn't be needed with a larger cab.
Using a Class A SET amp for classical, folk , blues, jazz and rock . Cabinets against the wall and toed in with grilles off.
Music has a nice big warm soundstage and is enjoyable even off axis . Not fatiguing in any way , very pleasing to enjoy listening too. Treble is smooth , no tweeter needed.
Old 26th January 2012, 08:46 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks Kevin for your nice, first hand report. I appreciated it.

Hide this!Advertise here!