Planet 10 FF125wk dFonken125T 0v8

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Chris. The taboo is 6 watts monoblocked but not stereo. Just 3 little watts. Ok as of this evening I have the fonkens inside the frugals closer to the dresser ( I know not ideal) up on 18 in stands with drivers just below that of the frugals. I have been spending a lot of time with Adele's live album so I asked my wife what she thought. We did some back and forth with both and as she leaves the room she turns and say that they are very similar, the tall one has more low end and at times is smoother through the voices but the little one put Adele in the middle of the room even more than the other. Huh. Remember I am yet to be in possession of enabled 125 drivers. I can hear the improvement in the stock drive just wait for the p10 One.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Huh. Remember I am yet to be in possession of enabled 125 drivers. I can hear the improvement in the stock drive just wait for the p10 One.

20 units should come off the break-in bench this weekend, I'm in the midst spotting my earlier sample. FF85 will hit treatment 1st. I'm going to pull a pair or 2 aside and play with colour.

dave

Dave is correct on the new ones but mine is 10 years old and I had tubedeforce gut it and make it pentode 3 watts. That's all I need. Decware also has the option of making the versions mono block as I have had a set and there was just a set in agon last month. Some are modified at decware some by other grouPs. So in the end we are all kind of correct. It's like politics.

Side by Side

Here is the image of both, minus stands that I put in after.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-02-12 at 2.44.12 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-02-12 at 2.44.12 PM.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 190
  • Screen Shot 2012-02-12 at 2.44.19 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-02-12 at 2.44.19 PM.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Jon, nice work and finishing!:cool: Re the Taboo, no worries:)

Have you tried the FH3 in usual/standard room height corners to compare the sound against the low sloping wall/ceiling of an attic space room? The attic type room you have set up there seems like the back wave would be more manipulated as sort of a quasi horn extension, compared to a standard room.. Just wondered on the sq difference, more low end maybe?

Cheers :cool:

Jon, nice work and finishing!:cool: Re the Taboo, no worries:)

Have you tried the FH3 in usual/standard room height corners to compare the sound against the low sloping wall/ceiling of an attic space room? The attic type room you have set up there seems like the back wave would be more manipulated as sort of a quasi horn extension, compared to a standard room.. Just wondered on the sq difference, more low end maybe?

Cheers :cool:

Dave, I did have it in a regular room (8) feet high and it sound just as good. I do get more benefits from the slope of the bedroom the way I have it of course and this is the only space left from the threat of my children to break them... thus they are stuck here. I still liked the sound coming from the FH in a regular horn, even the Fonken 125s are really nice in a large regular room (20x12x7.6H) and fill it nicely. I have found a nice liking for the single driver 4 or 5 inch driver. I will be interested if i can manipulate a Fonken to hide a 8 inch sub from GR Research ( I may have just condemned myself) but the combination of a great 100-20k driver and a 20-100 sub would be wonderful in a big picture..keeping size down and imaging forward..JP

Without measuring it I can't tell for sure if there is more low end or if the sloped walls are just amplifying the lower end so it appears to be lower.. make sense... End all.. i like the way they sound even with rap music... i know.. rap..

Thanks for the info! And I can totally appreciate the concern of children in the house, and the vulnerable drivers that they just love to investigate and have a poke at etc :eek:

Low end support as you have planned is surely a great investment in overall sq with the smaller drivers .. I'm using the fe108ez and love the smaller drivers too, but no matter the design you have most smaller drivers in, some additional low end support is always nice to have for sure.. Sounds like a nice plan to incorporate the bass drivers into the Fonken somehow and dial it all in etc..

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.