Opinions: What drivers for cabinets...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings!!

I have two sets of empty cabinets that I am looking at changing the front baffle to a single driver speaker...super easy as the front panel un-screws :) Both cabinets would be sealed...

Set 1: 25x12x12
Set 2: 14.5x10x11

Can anyone recommend some drivers that would be suitable for these cabinets??

I currently have a set of HA FR4.5C's that I am enjoying very much!! So sonic wise, along the same lines only maybe with a bit fuller sound?? Bit bigger driver perhaps??

Not worried about bass as I run dual subs...also, I run a DEQX so I can definitely work around some driver issues if needed ;)

Anyhoo...welcome all suggestions!!!

Thanks kindly!!!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
With a little bit of fill (i suggest braces to strat), the smaller one could be used with FF165wk, with a little more, Mark Audio 10.2 -- both would be vented. A pair of EL70 could be made to work as is (again vented, but might be workable sealed.

To give you an idea how some examples do sealed, attached are sealed sims that i was able to quickly find on my disk. I have more but they need prep. Sealed is pretty tolerant, look at the differenc ein size betweem 0.58 (bessel) & 0.707 (butterworth), good rolloffs for crossing to helper woofers.

dave

Attachments

• A7g3-sealed.gif
    A7g3-sealed.gif
    24.4 KB · Views: 69
  • CHR-70g3-sealed.gif
    CHR-70g3-sealed.gif
    23 KB · Views: 65
  • EL70-sealed-sim.gif
    EL70-sealed-sim.gif
    14.5 KB · Views: 63
  • A12-sealed-std-sims.gif
    A12-sealed-std-sims.gif
    18.1 KB · Views: 65
  • alpair10g2-sealed.gif
    alpair10g2-sealed.gif
    19 KB · Views: 66
  • FE206En-sealed.gif
    FE206En-sealed.gif
    25.4 KB · Views: 35
Those sealed measurements for the 10.2 and the EL70 look good...my subs now are crossed over at 100hz using a 24db LR filter...very nice and I'm looking at doing the same with these...

I guess I could vent...drill a hole in the front baffle...I'm assuming I would need some sort of tubing to tune the box...but with the subs, I'm not sure if that would be necessary correct?? Or not??

The HA's I have right now, only have a hole drilled in the back...no tubing to tune...the cabinet is 13x7x9 on the outside...roughly 11.5L on the inside...

Very new to this...sorry man!!

Excellent!!

That was kinda like what I was thinking ;)

Anyhoo...looks like I have two choices from MA that would work in my smaller cabinets...and I could probably get away without doing anything but stuffing...would I need an internal cross brace?? if not for rigidity but to take up volume??

Other options other than Mark??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.