Alpair 10.2 in 8 liter sealed - Too good to be true? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2012, 01:33 AM   #1
rongon is offline rongon  United States
diyAudio Member
 
rongon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Across the river from Rip's big old tree...
Default Alpair 10.2 in 8 liter sealed - Too good to be true?

In WinISD, I put the T/S parameters from the Mark Audio Alpair 10.2 into an 8 liter sealed cabinet and got a pleasant surprise. It says the F3 should be about 72 Hz, -6dB at 56Hz, -10dB at 43 Hz, with a Qtc of 0.74. 87dB sensitivity. That's pretty darned good, I'd say.

Did I do that right? Am I missing something? That all seemed too easy!

I have a pair of 8 liter cabinets I can start out with, so I can actually afford to do this...

--
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2012, 01:45 AM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
vinylkid58's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Victoria, B.C.
I get the same result in WinISD.

jeff
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2012, 03:01 AM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator
 
planet10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Victoria, BC, NA, Sol III
Blog Entries: 5
Mine shows f3 ~5 Hz higher

Click the image to open in full size.
Attached Images
File Type: gif alpair10g2-sealed.gif (19.0 KB, 2808 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2012, 03:21 AM   #4
rongon is offline rongon  United States
diyAudio Member
 
rongon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Across the river from Rip's big old tree...
Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Mine shows f3 ~5 Hz higher
Hmmm... Even so, F3 = 77Hz is still acceptable for a start. That's as low as many small bookshelf 2-ways, and better efficiency than many.

I pulled the trigger and bought a copper pair from Madisound. This should be fun.

In WinISD, it doesn't show much improvement by going vented in that small a box. I just want to give these drivers a fair audition. I've heard Jordan's and loved them. I'm hoping these will be in the same family. If so, I'll be one happy audiophool.

--

Last edited by rongon; 16th January 2012 at 03:24 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2012, 05:30 AM   #5
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: victoria BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rongon View Post
Hmmm... Even so, F3 = 77Hz is still acceptable for a start. That's as low as many small bookshelf 2-ways, and better efficiency than many.

I pulled the trigger and bought a copper pair from Madisound. This should be fun.

In WinISD, it doesn't show much improvement by going vented in that small a box. I just want to give these drivers a fair audition. I've heard Jordan's and loved them. I'm hoping these will be in the same family. If so, I'll be one happy audiophool.

--


don't let a computer sim dissuade you from trying a "vented" enclosure (there's far more latitude in that genus than with sealed)

use the existing cabinets as break-in boxes while you hike the trail of pursuing a different design?

be aware that due to their basket / flange design, all Alpairs share the characteristic of needing a larger enclosure than the modeling would suggest as minimally acceptable, just to fit in the box
__________________
you don't really believe everything you think, do you?
community sites t-linespeakers.org, frugal-horn.com commercial site planet10-HiFi
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2012, 05:32 AM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator
 
planet10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Victoria, BC, NA, Sol III
Blog Entries: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rongon View Post
Hmmm... Even so, F3 = 77Hz is still acceptable for a start. That's as low as many small bookshelf 2-ways, and better efficiency than many.
And well suited for small LCR + surrounds in an HT if set to small.

dave
__________________
community sites t-linespeakers.org, frugal-horn.com, frugal-phile.com ........ commercial site planet10-HiFi
p10-hifi forum here at diyA
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2012, 09:08 PM   #7
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: victoria BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
don't let a computer sim dissuade you from trying a "vented" enclosure (there's far more latitude in that genus than with sealed)

use the existing cabinets as break-in boxes while you hike the trail of pursuing a different design?

be aware that due to their basket / flange design, all Alpairs share the characteristic of needing a larger enclosure than the modeling would suggest as minimally acceptable, just to fit in the box


let me elaborate - it's the extra wide composite resin flange of Mark's drivers that causes some fun when it comes to making a box wide enough to fit, while keeping the net volume on target for some designs - this is what prompted the trapezoid shaped boxes such as:

Click the image to open in full size.
__________________
you don't really believe everything you think, do you?
community sites t-linespeakers.org, frugal-horn.com commercial site planet10-HiFi
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2012, 10:52 PM   #8
rongon is offline rongon  United States
diyAudio Member
 
rongon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Across the river from Rip's big old tree...
My "break in box" has a baffle width of 220mm. The specs show Alpair 10.2's mounting ring diameter as 165mm. Should be OK, right?

BTW, I love the enABled baffle ring on those boxes. Are those little blocks of the same dark wood (walnut?) as the ring is made of? Cool.

--
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2012, 12:06 AM   #9
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: victoria BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rongon View Post
My "break in box" has a baffle width of 220mm. The specs show Alpair 10.2's mounting ring diameter as 165mm. Should be OK, right?
Should be fine - it only starts to get really hairy with something like the narrow trapezoid shapes, in which case there's not a lot of margin between the flange and chamfered edges ( i.e approx 6.5mm each side if using the extra bezel ring, and 8.4mm per side if not)

Quote:



BTW, I love the enABled baffle ring on those boxes. Are those little blocks of the same dark wood (walnut?) as the ring is made of? Cool.

--

yup, depending on the angle of light and grain on individual blocks, they either almost disappear, or stand out - Bernie's a far more patient guy than I
__________________
you don't really believe everything you think, do you?
community sites t-linespeakers.org, frugal-horn.com commercial site planet10-HiFi
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2012, 07:23 PM   #10
von Ah is offline von Ah  United States
diyAudio Member
 
von Ah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Maryland, USA
Those wood freckles are sweet. And it looks like Dave cleaned his lens. :P
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alpair 12 vs Alpair 10.2 and a little Fostex 166 germpod Full Range 4 28th January 2011 03:19 PM
Alpair 10 Bass + Alpair 5 - Woodwill Japan markaudio Markaudio 16 26th January 2010 11:48 AM
Alpair 10 wide bass driver and Alpair 10 Fullrange _henry_ Full Range 71 15th March 2009 11:37 AM
Fostex 126e response (10,5 liter BR) Juspur Full Range 0 2nd February 2005 07:18 PM
good sealed box size for a 10" Peerless XLS sub peerless Multi-Way 1 1st August 2003 09:01 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:44 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2