diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Full Range (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/)
-   -   Alpair 10.2 in 8 liter sealed - Too good to be true? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/204598-alpair-10-2-8-liter-sealed-too-good-true.html)

rongon 16th January 2012 02:33 AM

Alpair 10.2 in 8 liter sealed - Too good to be true?

In WinISD, I put the T/S parameters from the Mark Audio Alpair 10.2 into an 8 liter sealed cabinet and got a pleasant surprise. It says the F3 should be about 72 Hz, -6dB at 56Hz, -10dB at 43 Hz, with a Qtc of 0.74. 87dB sensitivity. That's pretty darned good, I'd say.

Did I do that right? Am I missing something? That all seemed too easy!

I have a pair of 8 liter cabinets I can start out with, so I can actually afford to do this...

--

vinylkid58 16th January 2012 02:45 AM

I get the same result in WinISD.:up:

jeff

planet10 16th January 2012 04:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Mine shows f3 ~5 Hz higher

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attac...1&d=1326686470

rongon 16th January 2012 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by planet10 (Post 2863930)
Mine shows f3 ~5 Hz higher

Hmmm... Even so, F3 = 77Hz is still acceptable for a start. That's as low as many small bookshelf 2-ways, and better efficiency than many.

I pulled the trigger and bought a copper pair from Madisound. This should be fun.

In WinISD, it doesn't show much improvement by going vented in that small a box. I just want to give these drivers a fair audition. I've heard Jordan's and loved them. I'm hoping these will be in the same family. If so, I'll be one happy audiophool.

--

chrisb 16th January 2012 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rongon (Post 2863953)
Hmmm... Even so, F3 = 77Hz is still acceptable for a start. That's as low as many small bookshelf 2-ways, and better efficiency than many.

I pulled the trigger and bought a copper pair from Madisound. This should be fun.

In WinISD, it doesn't show much improvement by going vented in that small a box. I just want to give these drivers a fair audition. I've heard Jordan's and loved them. I'm hoping these will be in the same family. If so, I'll be one happy audiophool.

--

don't let a computer sim dissuade you from trying a "vented" enclosure (there's far more latitude in that genus than with sealed)

use the existing cabinets as break-in boxes while you hike the trail of pursuing a different design?

be aware that due to their basket / flange design, all Alpairs share the characteristic of needing a larger enclosure than the modeling would suggest as minimally acceptable, just to fit in the box

planet10 16th January 2012 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rongon (Post 2863953)

And well suited for small LCR + surrounds in an HT if set to small.

dave

chrisb 16th January 2012 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisb (Post 2864061)
don't let a computer sim dissuade you from trying a "vented" enclosure (there's far more latitude in that genus than with sealed)

use the existing cabinets as break-in boxes while you hike the trail of pursuing a different design?

be aware that due to their basket / flange design, all Alpairs share the characteristic of needing a larger enclosure than the modeling would suggest as minimally acceptable, just to fit in the box

let me elaborate - it's the extra wide composite resin flange of Mark's drivers that causes some fun when it comes to making a box wide enough to fit, while keeping the net volume on target for some designs - this is what prompted the trapezoid shaped boxes such as:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attac...t-fir-comp.jpg

rongon 16th January 2012 11:52 PM

My "break in box" has a baffle width of 220mm. The specs show Alpair 10.2's mounting ring diameter as 165mm. Should be OK, right?

BTW, I love the enABled baffle ring on those boxes. Are those little blocks of the same dark wood (walnut?) as the ring is made of? Cool.

--

chrisb 17th January 2012 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rongon (Post 2865234)
My "break in box" has a baffle width of 220mm. The specs show Alpair 10.2's mounting ring diameter as 165mm. Should be OK, right?

Should be fine - it only starts to get really hairy with something like the narrow trapezoid shapes, in which case there's not a lot of margin between the flange and chamfered edges ( i.e approx 6.5mm each side if using the extra bezel ring, and 8.4mm per side if not)

Quote:

BTW, I love the enABled baffle ring on those boxes. Are those little blocks of the same dark wood (walnut?) as the ring is made of? Cool.

--

yup, depending on the angle of light and grain on individual blocks, they either almost disappear, or stand out - Bernie's a far more patient guy than I

von Ah 17th January 2012 08:23 PM

Those wood freckles are sweet. And it looks like Dave cleaned his lens. :P