Advice for good cabinets that must meet WAF - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th January 2012, 09:54 AM   #1
jjl is offline jjl  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Advice for good cabinets that must meet WAF

Hi, I am new here and am interested in trying some full range speakers. I am not sure what design is best suited for this type of speakers and I am limited to the size I can build by the WAF.
I am not that worried by limited bass initially as I mainly listed to classical guitar, violin and voice. Volume is also not a real problem as I have other speakers to annoy the neighbours.
I currently enjoy my old Rogers jr149 for their clarity etc and would like something similar but better and would like to make them myself.
I have an old Luxman amp but am also interested in trying the tube amps that are popular. I have an old valve guitar amp that everyone wants to borrow all the time and a valve amp for my hi fi would be great.
I would appreciate any advice re drivers and cabinet choices.
Thanks
Jeremy
Old 15th January 2012, 11:01 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

How about a pair of Frugalhorns with Fostex fe126en's? Nice with valves. Otherwise have a browse through Planet 10 box plan library, you'll find bookshelf designs. I can however personally vouch for the Frugalhorns.
Old 15th January 2012, 03:05 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Of all the "prototypes" that have graced my living room, the Metronomes scored the highest WAF points,.....so far.
Old 15th January 2012, 05:27 PM   #4
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

+1 fo Doubtingthomas on the Frugal Horn MK3. Very nice sounding speakers. I would also suggest looking for the Mark Audio CHP-70 (Gen 1) divers as an option. Very natural sounding and performs well in the FH MK3.
Old 15th January 2012, 05:53 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi Jeremy, I can (of course) point at my TABAQ

Originally design for the 3" Tang Band, but it also works very well with the 4" drivers from Tang Band.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 15th January 2012, 06:54 PM   #6
evanc is online now evanc  United States
diyAudio Member

Location: New Jersey. About 1 hour from NYC and 1 min. from the beach
how about micro towers?
http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeaker...aps-150909.pdf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01237.JPG (143.8 KB, 487 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01243.JPG (128.5 KB, 467 views)
Old 15th January 2012, 08:09 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

+1 to the Metronome!
I have built three pairs so far. Solid design, takes very little floor space, and well liked by the ladies.

Cheers, Jim
Old 16th January 2012, 02:14 AM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Best WAF is usually achieved with either* small or an elegant shape that isn't a monkey coffin.

*(hidden probably counts too, but it often compromises sonics and certainly gives no latitude for fine tuning thru placement)

Sometimes both can be achieved.

Frugel-Horn Mk3, Metronomes fall into the latter. microTower too, even thou still a rectangular box (an elegantly small square column) are both small and have the nice little eiffel tower (as in Mets) at the bottom.

Small, hard to beat the uFonken. And the uFonkenSET adds an elegant shape. And there are a Heinz 57 collection of others in that same family if you like the concept and need something with more (unaided) bass and can accomodate a bit bigger box.

Lots of other small boxes for a growing number of excellent small FR speakers. Most could be made to easily deviate from the standard monkey coffin by making top & bottom OR the sides trapezoids. More complex shapes with more work.

Adding interesting accents -- bevels, decorative insets, added wood trim, unusual finish (leather anyone?) -- usually add to the level of WAF.

Keep her in the loop. Show her the pictures. It is not like there aren't a lot of choices.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MK70wT-fir.jpg (54.2 KB, 1659 views)
Old 16th January 2012, 07:38 AM   #9
jjl is offline jjl  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thank you all for your suggestions so far. It is much appreciated.
I am not familiar with the output of full range drivers and my instinct has me asking if the Fe126 (a 4" driver) will be big enough to give me a full sound. I guess the WAF is an issue and does limit me but I must ask if I can get a much better sound from a bigger driver and cabinet. It is after all just another argument and a few days in the dog house if I ignore "she who must be obeyed".
Thanks
Jeremy
Old 16th January 2012, 07:58 AM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

4-5" drivers are, i believe, in FR speakers... others will disagree... they certainly can have the WAF.

To find out where you fall, you might have to try more than 1

Do a search for "i couldn't believe its only a 4"

These are a cheap place to start: CSS EL70 Full Range - PAIR

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!